green hair help!!!

Greenman

Reefing newb
Soo I left for work for 3 weeks and came back to this jungle. My params are fine amonia 0 nitrite 0 niteate < 5. I pivked up a lawn mower blenny but he hasn't made a dent. My cuc has 6 hermits and a handful of snaols. Could be time for a reef cleaners order. Amy help wouldd be great@!!

Attachments

• 20130710_160557.jpg
    20130710_160557.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 353
my blenny and fox face are in heaven but they're not making a dent lol, how many turbo's do you think i'd need. this picture is pretty far back, its a 55 gallon.

if it were me i would but trying to get as much out as you can by hand and maybe add 2 or 3 turbos to start and see what they can do

yes they are i had one in my tank at one time they dont stop eating and as they are eating they are pooping. they are ugly little things but cool to watch um if you look into one make sure you have nothing in your tank that will go after it cuz they ink and it is toxic to fish

there not that bad something would have to try and attach it when i had mine i would bump it when i would clean the tank and stuff like that i was scared to death to when i first put mine in

Maybe you had a bit too much lighting or something.. Maybe you accidentally didn't set the light timers on correctly. Maybe you can try just cutting back on the lights for a few days. Maybe just 5 hours worth of lights a day for a few days and maybe the algae will die off.

it is hard to tell from the pic.. but are you sure it is Green Hair..?
Try looking up Bryposis. Nasty fast moving algea. I had it early on and Kent M did the trick for me.

-Good Luck

Although my HA was never that green I had it all over my tank and was getting discouraged on my new tank setup. I had 10 turbos and lawnmower blenny and they weren't even making a dent on it. 3 things I did differently and now I don't have any HA in my DT tank.

Changed Light schedule to white on 6hrs and Blue 9hrs. I found a deal on FLEABAY and bought a whole lot of Nass. Snails. I know I bought too many but the difference for 75 to 235 was only a few dollars. Plan on sharing with a buddy when his new tank is finished cycling.
I also put a Chemi Pure Elite in my filter sock. I added two pictures about 4 days apart. You can see the difference.

235 snails were only 26 bucks shipped. They have kept my sand white again. If I put in a rock with some seaweed attached they come from all over and swarm on it. I have moved alot down to my sump to work on it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230766632199?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Attachments

• 7-4-2013.jpg
    7-4-2013.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 281
  • 7-8-2013.jpg
    7-8-2013.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
i'll have to try that, I am going to buy a package from Reef Cleaners. I know one thing that may have spiked my algae, i recently upgraded from a 29 to a 55 and I had a large package from reef cleaners already in the 29. I think most of them died during the move to the new tank and it may have caused a spike in nitrates. And this is basicly a mini cycle going on. I'll look into Chemi Pure. With the lighting. Is it the white or the blue that usually causes the algae to grow? My lights are on about 11 hours Ill cut them down to 6.

Now when I put in a piece of seaweed in 2 minutes ........it's snail pile on. :^:

Attachments

• snail_pile_on.jpg
    snail_pile_on.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 263
Back