Green Mandarin

rwynn

Big Daddy
So anyone that has read my build threads knows that I want to get a green mandarin.

Obviously they have certain dietary needs that make adding them in a new tank difficult.

I recently added 2k-4k tigerpods to my DT(no fuge or sump yet but I will be adding a 10g sump with fuge section this week and then another 2k-4k pods in the fuge with plenty rubble/macro)

My question is how long would I need to let the pods in the fuge if added at that density, plus the ones already in the DT mature and reproduce before adding the mandarin?

And secondly, if the mandarin is already eating brine shrimp or mysis or something would it really matter about the pods so much since it would be eating at normal meal times and just supplementing pods?

Thanks!

hi well in ur fugr you will start seeing pods in like 2 weeks or so and i would wait even though that it is eating brine just to be on the safe side

I think that as long as you make sure the mandrine is eating frozen,that it'd be alright.
Which in a 40 gallon tank,your gonna have to do that anyway.

Yote is right. You can buy one tomorrow if you make sure it's eating frozen! The problem is, most of them don't. So just make sure you watch it eat food before you buy it. And if it won't eat frozen food, it will need a larger tank than a 40 gallon. You'd be surprised how fast those guys will wipe out pods.

Even if he its frozen... dont be sure that he will not wipe out your pods (not all of them) in a 40 faster than they can reproduce. My mandarin eats frozen and is still a vaccuum all day long foraging for pods on my rocks. He is a machine.

Yup I am really really really really really ready to get a larger tank, saving up some money now for the new house which means a bigger tank which means CRAZY options.

Back