green mandarin

He should. Did you make sure he was eating frozen food before you brought him home? They will usually starve to death in new/small tanks.

No i didnt ask really. The store i bought him from their tanks look like they are hurting bad and i kinda just felt bad for him. I got him discounted because a different fish nipped his fin on top. If he dies he dies.....he was going to prolly die anyways in their tanks. I thought id at least give him a better shot in my tank. I have about 40lbs of LR....im crossin my fingers on this one. He is really cool looking and got him for 15 bucks.

Congrats and good luck with the new mandrine.
But be extremely careful about buying fish from tanks thats in bad shape.It could cause you loose everything you've stocked.

Congrats and good luck with the new mandrine.
But be extremely careful about buying fish from tanks thats in bad shape.It could cause you loose everything you've stocked.

Yea i checked him out before i took em. He looked to be in okay shape. NO white spots or nothin

well after i got him in the tank i got a GOOD look at him....he seemed to be covered in some type of slimey stuff. He does have a few white spots on him but im not positive if its pieces of substrate sticking to him....ugh this is killin me. My xenia seemed to not like something because he has curled up...and i cant get any pix coz my light just turned off and my damsel keeps him at bay under the rocks....is there anything i can do to treat him if he has ich? or am i just fucked?

The slime coat is normal for mandarins. They slime up when stressed! I got a new mandarin last week, and he turned into a slime ball in the car ride to my house.

And that slime stuff is okay?....i am still worried about the spots on him. Im sure my camera wont pic up the spots on him but they are just random white dots. His one fin at the very tip is white too. The pics of ich i seen are more sparatic dots on fins....they really dont look like this. IDK! SO worried......Will ich kill EVERYTHING in my tank?

That's true. Mandarins are not susceptible to ich. That oily substance he talks about is the slime you saw. Mandarins do not tolerate copper meds.

Can you post a picture of him?

How do i go about doing that? THe only thing i add to my tank besides brine shrimp is iodine and calcium+3 which is combined calcium and strontium,molybdenum&iodine supplement, and kent purple tech....ive only done them all once except the iodine, ive doesed it twice so far....

I wouldn't worry about dosing any of that. Are you testing for calcium, molybdenum, etc.? No? Then how do you know you are not overdosing your tank? None of that stuff is necessary for a new tank. Don't dose for anything unless you test for it first and find that you need to add it. If you are doing water changes, the salt mix will often contain a correct concentration of all that stuff.

There are all sorts of frozen foods out there. Mandarins would probably prefer something smaller than brine. Try mysis or frozen cyclopeeze.

Mandarins are very tough fish to keep alive in new tanks because of their feeding requirements. They tend to starve to death. In the future you should research the animal before you buy it, and make sure you are aware of its needs and that you can provide those needs.

I did do research ina way...but to be honest....who cares my best friends fishtank has been up and running for over 6 years and never once has he lost anything, and has never done any research and has no knowledge of anything. and furthermore why the bashin'? I'm asking you for help not to hate on me because im trin something that i prolly shouldnt...i knew that before i did it. MAjor research hasnt been done on saltwater tanks...ugh....its cool i just wont ask questions.

And dosing my tank well ive done it and nothing has happened majorly....except i got coraline building on my powerheads and other stuff. so what you saying is if i do water changes every 3-4 weeks i shouldnt have to do anything to my tank at all?...im not sure i like the green look of the LR.....how do i go about dosein the purple tech?

Back