green mandarin

He looks good to me.
I have a question. Would the pods that reefs2go sell be worth getting for a MANDARIN? Besides cost would they be good food? When i had one years ago, I didnt have a problem feeding him. My lfs stocked enriched live brine. Every week and a half i just picked up 3 bucks worth and fed them out to him. So these pods would be expensive yes. But if some one refused to let a little guy starve. Could you get away with buying these?

The guy at my lfs told me that all he feeds his is live brine. Im going to try this first and if that fails then ill go with pods or possibly worms

He looks good to me.
I have a question. Would the pods that reefs2go sell be worth getting for a MANDARIN? Besides cost would they be good food? When i had one years ago, I didnt have a problem feeding him. My lfs stocked enriched live brine. Every week and a half i just picked up 3 bucks worth and fed them out to him. So these pods would be expensive yes. But if some one refused to let a little guy starve. Could you get away with buying these?

Pods are expensive but, if you put them in your tank, the pods will breed and given enough time can reproduce enough on their own to the point where you won't have to buy more again

Dana,
I know you said a fuge is outta your budget right now. You can make a temporary one for real cheap, and very easily! Just buy one of those acrylic boxes they use to scoop fish out (basically an acrylic box with an open top), and a glass magnetic cleaner. Use the magnetic cleaner (or just plain old strong magnets) to stick (suction cups never work) the box to the inside of your tank, with the top just a touch below the water level, so the fish won't swim in it.

Throw in some rock rubble, a bit of sand, and maybe some macroalgae, and voila, easy made fuge! You can even throw in a very small pump in there to keep the water turning over. That's all I use in my tank, and it works great.

Dana,
I know you said a fuge is outta your budget right now. You can make a temporary one for real cheap, and very easily! Just buy one of those acrylic boxes they use to scoop fish out (basically an acrylic box with an open top), and a glass magnetic cleaner. Use the magnetic cleaner (or just plain old strong magnets) to stick (suction cups never work) the box to the inside of your tank, with the top just a touch below the water level, so the fish won't swim in it.

Throw in some rock rubble, a bit of sand, and maybe some macroalgae, and voila, easy made fuge! You can even throw in a very small pump in there to keep the water turning over. That's all I use in my tank, and it works great.

Do you have a picture of yours?

It's visible here....

IMG_0830-1.jpg

I'm a newbie too and the mandarin was my first fish. Got him about 2 months ago. Lots of good advice so far from these awesome people on this forum. The MD will eat all the pods off your rock very shortly. Live brine shrimp alone will not keep your mandarin alive but keep trying to get him to eat it and as soon as he starts does, get some Selcon and add a few drops to the cup you get your live brine in. This will enrich the live brine shrimp. Once you get him eating live brine then you can start training him to eat frozen food and pellets. Good luck :)

Back