Green Mantis Shrimp Confirmed

You could definately put him in the sump like reef said youll lose your pods thats what I would do with him though I think theyd be a neat little nasty to keep

wat it the rock is the bottom (wich it most likely is cuz the cant swim)and u take that rock out and ur whole reef tumbles

The safest and easiest way to catch a mantis.
Pinpoint his home first.You'll have to know the exact hole he's using.Once thats done.Place your fish net over that hole so he cant escape.Thats a very important step.
After you get the nest over the hole(or if the nets big enough to fit the entire rock in)Use a good set of tongs to remove the rock.Use tongs for safety,mantis's are called thumb splitters for a reason.
Then either place the whole rock into your sump or another tank.Or you can squirt some fresh water into his hole to run him out.
I'd also vote to just set up another tank.Even though I do not want one in my reef.I love to sit and watch mine scurry around the 30gal he calls home.

the trap ideas are good but take forever and if youre not rite there to "spring the trap" you lost your chance. if possible, remove the rock hes living in and put it in a quarantine tank. next take a powerhead and hook a piece of tubing to the inlet side so you have suction. place the end of this hose near the entrance to his burrow and let it do its thing. if you want to save the shrimp, attach a pop bottle to the end of your suction hose with a hole in it. now position the pop bottle hole by his burrow.. once hes sucked in the pop bottle he will be able to swim against the current. kind of a baffle. this setup is kind of cumbersome but it works.

take a tube, (pvc pipe) close one end, let it go inside, and then quickly plug the hole that it came in through. take the tube with the mantis out of the water and pour in into the toilet.

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU SMOKING! WOW HOW BOUT YOU TAKE YOUR FISH TANK AND DUMP IT DOWN THE TOILET. Love to meet u in person, thats just foul.

Yea I was a lil hot when I read that and skipped everything else inbetween...woulda been different if there was a smilely at the end of his statement or any sense of sarcasm but there wasn't. Kinda urked me the wrong way.

I know I know. Maybe I went overboard...sometimes it's just better for me to not say anything at all rather than speak my mind. Mantis shrimp are very intelligent. To remorsely kill one is fighting words IMO....that's just me......

Back