Green Plate Coral

i had a purple one for a few years. nothing special about them they either live or die some people just cant keep them for some reason BIFF

Hahaha. I've probably tried half a dozen short tentacled and long tentacled plate corals. They all croak within a couple weeks. So no, I'm sorry but I can't give you any tips on how to keep them alive :)

I know it says they're easy. Some people have no problem with them. You should have seen the old display tank at my LFS -- his would breed like crazy. He probably had 30+ dime sized little plates spread all over the sand.

I know it says they're easy. Some people have no problem with them. You should have seen the old display tank at my LFS -- his would breed like crazy. He probably had 30+ dime sized little plates spread all over the sand.
Do you know how long I tried to get him to sell me one of those?! He finally started selling them after he moved for $200. Sometimes I worry about his sanity!

Do you know how long I tried to get him to sell me one of those?! He finally started selling them after he moved for $200. Sometimes I worry about his sanity!

$200 HaHa! That's ridiculous!
I tried to get Robert (and Bill who got fired for some reason) to sell me one too! The color is so vivid. I don't know how many times I wanted to by something and he would say, "That's for the show tank," or "We're going to frag that!" Not the best business sense, to say the least. If I had a shop and could order an almost unlimited variety of livestock wholesale then I would sell, sell, sell. If I couldn't get the same thing again, that's okay, there's plenty of stuff out there I'd get something else.

The Saltwater shops are so getto here in Tucson! They suck! I gave up and order most stuff on-line. :frustrat:

If you have been in that store when rob wasn't there even once, it should be pretty clear why Bill got fired. The really frustrating thing is that Bill told me he would hook me up with one of those plates on a wednesday, but that I had to come in on the weekend early, when no one else was there, so he wouldn't get in trouble. I came in on Saturday and there was a new kid there running the show. I found that Bill had been fired and was next door at the snake shop so I went to ask him about it. Bill grabbed me and went marching into SWSW and told the kid that he promised me one of the plates and that he had to sell it. The kid quickly replied, "Bill you aren't even allowed to be in hear anymore". I could see this was going nowhere! So close...

It's too bad, Bill is a fun guy

No way, Bill got fired!!! I didn't know that!

Did you know that Bill was divorced several years ago, but his exwife and him liked living together, so they still live together, but have separate bedrooms?

And did you know that Bill has 10 pet potbellied pigs that sleep in his bed with him? It's true. I've seen pics.

Weird Bill factoids. That guy ruled.

And yes, they had a lot of stuff in that store that was not for sale. Like that wall hammer covering the back of one of the nanos. Every time I'd go in that store I'd marvel at how vivid that coral was and how unique it was. Of course it was never for sale!

If you have been in that store when rob wasn't there even once, it should be pretty clear why Bill got fired. The really frustrating thing is that Bill told me he would hook me up with one of those plates on a wednesday, but that I had to come in on the weekend early, when no one else was there, so he wouldn't get in trouble. I came in on Saturday and there was a new kid there running the show. I found that Bill had been fired and was next door at the snake shop so I went to ask him about it. Bill grabbed me and went marching into SWSW and told the kid that he promised me one of the plates and that he had to sell it. The kid quickly replied, "Bill you aren't even allowed to be in hear anymore". I could see this was going nowhere! So close...

It's too bad, Bill is a fun guy

Strange enough I found Bill to be much more friendlier than Robert's ever been.

At any rate, my plate coral ate after being in the tank only a couple hours. A good sign.

Also, according to Dr Shimek (one of the best Marine biologists around) corals can tolerate a good deal of nitrates, maybe up to 30ppm, but they cannot tolerate phosphates over 0.1 ppm. I suppose high nitrates could cause an algae growth that could then overtake the corals.

(Sleeping with pigs? Sorry, I can't do that).

Strange enough I found Bill to be much more friendlier than Robert's ever been.
I respect Bill even though I don't totally agree with his decisions and lifestyle. If you have no idea what I am talking about, then don't worry about it. I'd rather not speak poorly of him as he is not here to defend himself. All in all he is harmless and that is how I choose to remember him!

Wow, there's something more other than his ex-wife & their relationship and sleeping with pigs!? Please do tell! If you wish you can PM me so others won't hear about his lifestyle!

At any rate, my plate coral ate after being in the tank only a couple hours. A good sign.

Also, according to Dr Shimek (one of the best Marine biologists around) corals can tolerate a good deal of nitrates, maybe up to 30ppm, but they cannot tolerate phosphates over 0.1 ppm. I suppose high nitrates could cause an algae growth that could then overtake the corals.

(Sleeping with pigs? Sorry, I can't do that).

SOME( leathers,muchrooms zoanthids) corals can tolerate higher nitrates.SOME (Xenia,Kenyas) will actually do better in higher nitrates.
But put an SPS coral in a tank where nitrates are above 5ppm and watch how fast it bleaches.

SOME( leathers,muchrooms zoanthids) corals can tolerate higher nitrates.SOME (Xenia,Kenyas) will actually do better in higher nitrates.
But put an SPS coral in a tank where nitrates are above 5ppm and watch how fast it bleaches.

Yeah but could the bleaching be because higher phosphates generally follow higher nitrates? Meaning, although the nitrates rose, it was perhaps ultimately the phosphates that caused the bleaching.

Do the xenia use the nitrates in some fashion? Just curious
Xenia will use the nitrates AND phosphates as a nutrient source to feed their zooxanthellae.Xenia are actually known to be most prolific near the effluent discharge of sewage pipes on near-shore reefs.
Yeah but could the bleaching be because higher phosphates generally follow higher nitrates? Meaning, although the nitrates rose, it was perhaps ultimately the phosphates that caused the bleaching.

Phosphates decrease calcification rates.But according to Eric Borneman,it dont have any bad effects on the zooxanthellae algae that all corals host.
So I guess its safe to say that phosphate dont actually cause corals to bleach,but the algae that seems to come with phosphates will over grow the corals,and cause bleaching.

Back