Green Slime Algae

iDad

Reefing newb
I have tried to include pictures but for whatever reason, my work computer won't allow me tonight. The walls of my 20 gallon long aquarium is overrun with a green slime algae. I have scraped the walls, I have done water changes, but it just keeps coming back. My work schedule has been wonky so I haven't tested the water like I need to. But I tested it today and this is where I am with my water paremeters:

High PH: 8.2
AMMONIA: 0.25 ppm
NITRITE: 0 ppm
NITRATES: 0 ppm

My water salinity is high, it is at 40 ppt / 1.030 Specific Gravity. I need to do a water change but can someone lend me some advice please!

All I have in the aquarium are the following:

1 Clownfish
8 Turbo Snails
9 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs
1 Emerald Crab
2 Peppermint Shrimp
20 gallon long tank with roughly 15 - 20 lbs of Live Rock

Hope all this information helps!

8823248012_29cbbe0fdb.jpg

Sorry for doing the pictures this way, I'm having computer difficulties. But these are the pictures, please help!

Just looks like normal film algae to me. Im assuming you are using API for testing. Your ammonia reading is hopefully false. It should be at zero.
Sounds like you need a better assortment of snails. Some astraea, cerith and nassarius snails would do wonders I'm betting. Slowly lower your salinity to 1.025 and get your parameters stable as well. Do you have enough flow in the tank?

I have a HOB filter that I was told from my LFS would be sufficient for the size tank that I have. What do you suggest? Also, how many of those types of snails would you suggest? 10, 20 of each?

I have an Aqueon HOB for up to 45 gallons filled with rubble rock (way better than any floss filter that catches detritus) and will be getting a Koralia Nano 240 sooner or later. I just restarted my tank so I don't have corals, as of yet, but I would say that you will want more than that one filter.

As for snails, I would suggest going on to ReefCleaners.org and ordering a 20 long quick crew. Price is $22.xx. I just got mine and he sent way more of everything than I ordered (he does that) so there's no better way to get snails. I would also get some astrea snails, probably 5-7, which he currently does not carry.

My API test kit has been registering false ammonia since the day I took it out of the box. even my pure RO/DI registers right at .25. From the pics it's hard to tell what algae is on the rock and what's on the glass. I get an algae film like that if I don't clean the glass as often as I should. Sorry if I missed it but what, how often, and how much do you feed?

I heard that if you feed them twice a day it would help them grow faster, so I use to feed my clownfish a small pinch of flakes in the morning and in the evening. I usually just grabbed one flake and crunched it up because I heard there stomach is the size of their eyeball. Then the snails, and shrimp I would feed a strip of the dried seaweed.

But now I only feed him once a day and the seaweed I put in once a week or so

Back