Green Spotted Puffer

saixiong08

Reefing newb
What is the recommended level of specific gravity and the PPT is for a green spotted puffer? Is it possible to keep it between 1.021 to1.026 for the specific gravity and 28-34 for the salinity?

Are you referring to the little brackish fish they have at wal-mart, etc...? They like it between 1.005 and 1.015. They are not a saltwater fish. Do you have any other fish in the tank?

Specific gravity and salinity are the same thing... just different ways to measure how much salt is the water....

GSP's are brackish water fish, I suppose its possible to acclimate them to a full saltwater environment (just as some people acclimate certain species of mollies to live in saltwater) but I think that in the long run it is detrimental to the fishes health. Green spotted puffers live in a brackish environment for a reason, and if kept in captivity, they should really be kept in the same conditions, or as close as you can possibly get

I have a separate tank for mine. So you will just make the water brackish, not full salt. I keep mine around 1.006 and you cannot have any other fish with him. He'll eat them. You'll occasionally feed him snails or otherwise his beak/teeth grow too long. They are a fun fish!

I guarantee at wal-mart they did NOT have him in any salt. So, put him in freshwater and gradually add a bit of dissolved saltwater to slowly increase the level over the course of a few weeks.

They are able to live in a complete salt water tank...when I owned my 125gal Fo tank, I bought two of them and over a period of about 2-3 hrs, I acclimated them to saltwater from freshwater. I've read that they actually lay their eggs in saltwater and then go back to brackish waters, which is why they can live in it...and they live longer in saltwater vs freshwater.

very interesting,i know the gsp at walmart are pretty small,i havent seen any larger the 1.5 to 2 inches so i imagine they might do fine in a tank in larger fish?

Yeah, they can be mixed with other fish. Just don't try to keep a cuc, cause that'll be their meal. They do need a crab with a shell every once in a while, to file their teeth down.

I'm sorry, I don't like to argue but I must respectfully disagree. I have yet to find a single source that says they should be kept with any other fish for various reasons; they are easily stressed, which can be deadly for them. Any quickly moving fish is stressful to them, and they are a predator, they will nip at fins and try to eat other fish. It is highly recommended that they be kept in their own tank.They are an aggressive, dirty fish. There are many conflicting views on their salinity preference as people have kept them alive for a year or two in full salt or totally fresh and therefore think that's ok, but, they should live 10+ years. Full salt or totally fresh drastically shortens their life span. Suitable brackish tankmates are few, as they will eventually be targeted as food or, if they are larger, seen as a threat and cause stress. And that's my GSP sermon for today. :) I'm really attached to mine and simply wanted to warn the op that it wasn't a suitable tankmate for their clown, which wasn't their intention anyhow.

Back