green star polyp propagation

poolshark181

Reefing newb
hey all, just wondering how to propagate gsp's. i had them on the substrate where the remainder of my crushed coral surfaced. i placed a rock on the edge of the mat but it doesnt seem to be spreading onto it. i just placed a rock directly underneath the middle of the mat, but im not sure if this will work. any suggestions? keep in mind, i have the actual colony mostly on substrate so it doesnt grow on my lr.

I just cut mine with a razor, then rubberbanded it to a piece of rubble. It's some pretty tough stuff. don't be feared of hurting it.

if you are looking to frag it, place the sheet on top of several pieces of rubble and wait about 3 weeks. it will attach itself to all the individual rocks and them you can turn it over and cut out pieces like a GSP puzzle.

-Doc

Polyps and zoas are all the same. Just set them right next to a rock and they will grow onto it in a month or two. Just be patient. They will grow.

I set a rock of yellow polyps next to the back glass of my tank and they grew onto the glass. It's cool. Now I've got colonies of zoas pressed against the glass too. Hoping they will grow like a carpet on my glass.

Wash your NEW razor blades in hot water and maybe a little liquid soap first. Rinse well. They are covered in oil from the factory. You don't want petroleum oils in your tank. Always use a new and SHARP razor blade. Used blades rip and tear. You want a surgical slice. Nice and clean.

Once the polyps grow onto the rock or glass, just use a sharp razor and slice them off at the base/mat. Don't worry if you kill one or two. They grow back in a month. I like to wait until I have at least 4 or 5 growing really well onto a rock before I slice them off. Then if one or two die, the others will still grow out and cover the rock. I once tried to cut a single zoa off a colony and rubber band it onto a rock by itself. It died. :grumble: I think it's best to let them grow by themselves and then slice the mat to disconnect them from the mother colony.

I have so much gsp's it's ridiculous! I have fragged most of it byt just peeling it off my live rock or if you have the branching kind just cut a branch off. I then super glue it on some rubble rock. It will spread over the rock in about a week or two. I do this with zoo's as well. I get a few zoo poylps floating around my tank every now and then so I just glue em onto a rock. Cake!

Back