Green star polyp

SalteeDogg

Reefing newb
Hey guys I just bought a 30 gallon salt tank that has been established for 2+ years now. Got it home came with live sand, rock, filter, skimmer, jet, fish, and some other creatures but question is, when I got it home I went and bought (I THINK) a green star polyp. Now that its in my tank it just looks different to me but could be my imagination. It is bright purple with about 140 little arms(estimate) that are 1/2 inch long with little holes in the middle of each arm. Does this sound right? has a little blue and green on it, I touched it and its hard as a rock. Is there anything I need to do to get this thing growing? I put 1 cap of liquid calcium in a day. Any help would be appreciated. I can get pics up if that would help? Thanks

I've seen green and tan/brownish star polyps but not purple.The base material is purple though.Maybe get a pic up to verify.First off,I wouldn't dose calcium if there's not a need too.Over dosing is way worst then being low,it throw off the akalinity,pH etc.Moderate flow and light is all it needs,no supplemental feeding whatsoever.I would isolate the colony in the sand bed to keep them from overrunning the tank.Good luck with them.

Freak is right, please post some pictures so we can ID it. He is also right about the calcium -- you don't need to be doing that right now, and are likely adding too much to your system.

Oh, and welcome to Living Reefs!

Welcome to the reef.
Reef and Biff are right.You should never dose anything your not testing for.

heres a couple pics. The background is just a temp I think im going all black. The pics are kind of blurry but the best I can do. Hope you can help me. Thanks
7xy5ooz.jpg

6x5ww9e.jpg

850veom.jpg

The polyps when I first bought them were open and they had green with pink centers on them but when I switched them to my tank they closed up. Do you think they just need some time to adjust?
I'm going to the store tomorrow afternoon to get several types of test kits. What all test do I need to buy? I already have a hydrometer and liquid calcium but thats it so far. Thanks for the help.

Yes, give them a few days. The basic test kits you'll need are: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alkalinity and calcium. Don't dose anymore calcium until you test for it and find a need for it.

ok thanks. Is there any chemicles I need to buy? The guy told me I needed to get super buffer? And put it in the filter once a week? Any thing else I need to be worried about. Thanks again.

Oh and one more thing. The rock on the far right in the picture, has a reddish tint on it which it had when I got it, but is this normal or some type of algae? Good or bad? Thanks you so much for your help!!!

You won't know if you need to dose Super Buffer until you test your parameters, namely pH and alkalinity. If they are okay and stay okay, you won't need to add a buffer.

Can you take a close up pic of the red stuff? It could either be algae (bad) or coralline (good), or even some type of sponge. No way to tell until we see a pic.

heres a few pics (sorry bout the crappy camera). The guy did have corals, reefs and everything you can think of on these rocks at some point so maybe its coralline(I hope). Thanks again.
82jrj2g.jpg

8ghosr5.jpg

6ter2mt.jpg

81j8xhh.jpg

Another quick question (im so sorry!) I have a baby clown fish 1 1/2 inch, and was looking at a all black trigger fish. Would the trigger kill my nemo? Thanks

You can't put a trigger in a 30 gallon tank. It's way too small, most triggers need 100 gallons, at least. Plus, most triggers aren't reef safe and will eat shrimp/crabs/snails/other fish/corals.

good to know I was seconds away from buying one up from petco and the guy said that it would PROBABLY be fine and the fish was in like 29 gallon tank. Them people up there are so stupid im so glad I asked yall. He also said the fish would eat some stuff that looked like red blood squares and as long as I kept him fed he wouldnt bother my fish but I know thats not true at all. Im still all new to this thats why I might sound like a preschooler to this salt world. Thanks again

Back