Green Star Polyps Not opening

Fishboy

Reefing newb
They closed yesterday afternoon and then havent opened all day today..i have 3 frags of them..the other 2 frags are opening fine...why are they not openign?

i just tested ph, alkalinity, nitrite, and salinity...all of them were good.. I ran out of ammonia and nitrate test, so ill try to get more tommorow..but i dont understand how all the other corals are doing fine except this one frag..

Sometimes they just get finicky and close, but keep an eye on it - could be something as small as a hermit picking some food out of them, nicking them, and causing them to close...

no crabs or hermit crabs in the tank or live rock, greenstar polyps, daisy polyps, 2 clownfish, tang, and cardinal fish...do you thing the fish might be picking at them

The tang might, but I'd doubt it. I think it's more likely something minor just irritated them and they'll be back to normal tomorrow. They're extremely hardy and hard to kill, but they seem to react (at least in my tank) quickly to changes in pH or are sensitive to sand getting kicked up. Try blowing them off with a baster if you want...

Star polyps will do that sometimes.Its not uncommon for them to close up for a week or even 2.They just get lazy sometimes.

my first addition was a colony of polyps...Ive been there and done that and learned that they have moods where they will look sick and be closed and then the next day look beautiful....there moody thats about the extent of it..... but dont confuse that for poor water quality or something irratating it

[FONT=&quot]I believe that star polyps, zoanthids and mushrooms benefit from iodine supplementation . From my experience, I think that they prefer a tank with elevated Iodine concentrations at approx. .06ppm[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. If you add iodine to your tank, be sure to always test for it though.
[/FONT]

Back