Green Star Polyps

galonso52

Reefing newb
I seem to be having an issue with my green star polyps. I noticed that the purple rug it has underneath it has been shrinking. I moved it closer to the flow and higher up so its closer to my lights. I noticed that two of my hermit crabs don't stop coming to it and picking on it. Do I need to worry about my hermit crabs and green star polyp. I just moved it five days ago.

I think they are called Compact Fluorescent Retrofit 2X65 Watt, 24 inch; One 65 watt 10K and one 65 watt Actinic 03 compact fluorescent lamps. I have two sets but I am not sure of the terminalogy.

I consider GSP one of those indestructible corals.The crab shouldn't be bothering it unless its dead or algae growing on the purple mat.The location sounds fine for lighting and flow needs but maybe there is somewhere else where it won't get harassed.

Are the polyps out?

Every polyp is an individual coral so no,it doesn't mean the whole colony will die.

Are the polyps out?If not,how long has it been.
Have you had any deaths,overfeeding,overstocking?My question really is have there been a recent ammonia and nitrite spike,both of those are the only thing that comes to mind if they are twindling.

The polyps still come out every day when the lights come on. No overstocking and been feeding the same amount. I am going to take the water tomorrow to the LFS just to make sure.

it would be in your interest to get your own test kits so that you can do more frequent tests and just so you can double check the fish stores findings

I agree with Daugherty. If the math in my head is correct, and if I'm understanding your setup, I don't think you have enough light to keep any corals, even low light ones. PCs are not very strong lights at all.

on my 50 i used to have i had 4 96w pc's and was unable to keep a alot of coral because they are not that strong of lights yes they have the wattage but they do not penetrate the water good enough to do any good

Personally,I think your borderline on have having enough light for the low light corals.
But heres something to try.Move your GSP up as high on the rock as you can get it.If it starts growing again.That will get it more light,and hopefully get it started growing again.

I have two sets of these under my hood: http://www.marineandreef.com/Aqualight_Retrofit_Kit_2X65W_24_Coralife_p/res53202.htm

I just looked at my bulbs and I have a total of 4 50/50 bulbs which I think is a total of 260 watts. Let me know if I am looking at this all wrong.

IMO,that is plenty of light for soft and LPS corals such as your GSP.I had 265w of PC over a 72 gallon for over 7-8 years during the late 90's.I do not believe light is the issue with the green stars.

Back