Green tip bubble anenome

Russell

Reefing newb
Hey guys,

Just purchased yesterday amung other things a green tip bubble anenome.I had everything flown in from vancouver, same day service, and product appeared to be in very good health.

Everything has taken to my tank until about 20 hours into my tank. My green tip nanenome looked fantastic and seemed to have found a nice comfy spot on one of my live rocks. It's tenticles were nice and puffy and waving in the current.

I went down for about a 2.5 hour nap, and when I awoke it seems as though the tenticles have all shivelled up and don't appear to have much life in them.

PLEASE HELP.........................

First off, what kind, and how much lighting do you have? What are your water parameters at? Has your tank been up and running for six months now?

Anemones need very high lighting conditions and perfect water parameters. It is normal for them to shrivel up once in a while, but usually that happens after they have been fed.

Be careful with an anemone in such a new tank. They get sick and die REAL fast without enough light, and they can wipe out your entire tank with them when they go down. Not a very good animal for reef tanks, in my opinion.

First off,We need to know your current parameters including salinity and temp.
What kind of lighting are you running?

Its also normal for anemones to close up every once in a while.They do that to take a:pooh:

Hey Bifferwine, thanks for the reply. First of I have 96 watt lighting, which for the corals and anenomes I was taold would be o.k. I have been working on the parameters for my tank now for about a month to support soft corals and such, and have achieved acceptable levels. However, your comment about feeding I found especiaclly interesting as I had feed them about an hour or so before I noticed this. I Hope this is the case. Thanks for your help.
Russ

Sorry to say this, but I think you got some bad advice there. That's just a little over 2 watts per gallon for your tank, which is barely enough light to keep the lowest light requiring corals. Anemones need at least 8 watts per gallon, and most corals need at least 5.

If I were you, I would either find a new home for that anemone ASAP, or get new lights ASAP. In reality, you will not be able to keep much of anything under those lights, except MAYBE zoanthids and mushrooms. But definitely not an anemone. If your anemone dies (which is very likely), it will probably kill everything in the tank, they are ROTTEN when they die.

Sorry for the bad news, who told you that was okay lighting?

Biffs right again.You dont have no where enough light for an anemone and extremely borderline for softies.
Also what are you calling acceptable parameters?
Anemones dont do acceptable,they got to have great parameters or they will die.

Seems like this is the 999th thread about how anemone's suck. God bless this forum or Id have 2 in my tank right now preparing to blow up and kill everything, but at least my clowns would look cute in them!

I will have an anemone, in about a year or so....

I will practice patience,I will practice patience,I will practice patience,I will practice patience,I will practice patience....

If I say it enough maybe I will do it...:)

The thing is,
Anemones are not that hard to keep alive,AS LONG AS THE TANK IS STABLE with great water quality,and AT LEAST 8 WATTS OF LIGHT PER GALLON OF WATER.
Here is a way to know if a hobbiest is ready for anemones: If the hobbiest is confident in their ability enough to have a tank of SPS, Then they might be ready for an anemone.

welcome to the club.mine still seems to be doing fine.....so far.
i also put my old 36 watt pcs on to help and it seems to be getting more tenticles

A couple of things:
1) I have 2 green BTA's (used to be one, but it split and now I have 2). I have had them for 1.5 yrs (since the split). I keep them in different tanks with different lighting. The lighting on both tanks breaks all the apparent rules, but intensity does make a difference (I notice when I change the bulbs).
2) My BTAs tend to change shape now and again, so this does not necessarily mean you have a problem - though of course it might.... My two both look very different though - and I think this is because one has a Maroon clown that hosts it.

i also feed mine in case you are not - well actually the clown feeds one of them - takes larger pieces of food and delivers it directly - really cool :-)

Hi Joeman,

My GTBA is now doing fine. I found out that what they do is periodically change their water in the tentacles and that in this case this appeares to have been the issue, they also at times appear to shrivel up after a feeding.

Thankyou very much for yuor reply as I am very much a newbie but at the same time doing my best to do things right.

Russ :question:

biff he may have a 96 Watt pc fixture with 4 96 Watt PC bulbs
he did say that he was a no0b..

russle how many bulbs are on your light ?
Do you have a brand name light or is it a Bulb that you got for the Stock hood,

I feel your pain here man I did the exact same thing , But i do have to say that thats how i found this site , and i am ever so glad I did , I learned an awfull lot here ,

I had a gbt before and got rid of it. It was very cool but they move around way to much for me. After it got stuck in the filter and stung everything in my tank he went to a friend.lol it is doing the same in his tank too.

Yeah anemones will mow down anything in their path, they are notorious for killing corals too. Not a good animal for a reef tank. It's hard to get them to stay put, unless you add one first and build the rest of the tank around it.

My long tent stays in the same place but it's about 15 inches when opened up. I have had it for three years and wish it would split so it gets a little smaller. In a 90 if it started to move all over I would be in some real trouble.

Back