Green to brown algae on glass

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I have had my 75 gallon set up and running for about five months now. Within the last month or so I would get a film of green algae on the glass daily. Within the last week or two the green algae has turned to brown. I could scrape the glass off two times a day if I wanted to to keep it clear, that's how fast it grows. I don't have strong lights, only a 216 watt T5. I am using distilled water as I haven't gotten a RO/DI system yet. Is the tank just going through a phase which I have read happens to new tanks or is there something I can do to stop the algae grwoing on the glass?

Algae on the glass is normal -- we all get it, and there isn't much you can do about it, although glass dwelling snails like astraeas will help.

Having to clean it twice a day sounds excessive though -- I'd say a couple times a week is normal.

Are you sure you aren't overfeeding?

What are your nitrates and phosphates at? Also, how old are your bulbs? Sometimes as bulbs get older they'll shift in color spectrum, and they could shift to a wavelength that grows algae quicker.

I never feed more than once a day and don't believe I overfeed. I always feed once a day though. I'll be testing water today so I'll post that after I do but previous tests, even during this algae phase, have always been good. The light is maybe two months old. I am looking into getting new bulbs for it but I doubt they are old enough that they need replaced.

Tested water and everything is good. Zeros in ammonia, nitrates and nitrites. Ph is 8.2. 1.025 Salinity and phosphate zero, calcium is 440 and Kh is 143.2.

I get the same on mine.. need to clean it twice a week or so...was green put a new powerhead in came in green and brown for a week or so then back to green again..

I find it interesting that it has changed colors and is now growing that fast.

Are you getting this brown algae growing on your rocks as well? I would hate for this to turn into dinos, although that is not how it normally presents.

The other brown algae i can think of is diatoms, which grow when there are silicates present. Have used tap water for your tank recently?

Your lights definitely aren't old enough to be causing it. What do you have in your tank as far as fish go, and how much do you feed each day?

I was getting a rusty powder kind of growth on my glass for a few weeks and started putting a small bag of phosguard in my filter and I hardly ever have anything on my glass anymore at all. I just change out the little balls once a week when I do my water changes.

I am using distilled water as I haven't gotten a RO/DI system yet. Is the tank just going through a phase which I have read happens to new tanks or is there something I can do to stop the algae grwoing on the glass?

It sounds like you have been well covered by the folks here! Do you have ample water movement in the tank? Or do you just have an overflow and return? Low flow can lead to increased algae problems. I just picked up some Turbo's and they are amazing. Five of them stripped my 65g tank clean in days!

The algae is only on the glass. My snails and crabs take care of anything on the rocks very well. I went through the diatom bloom probably six weeks ago. I have never used tap water in my tank. I do not clean the back wall of the glass if that matters any.

My stock is:
Foxface
Kole Tang
Tomato Clowns x2
Coral Beauty
Pink-spotted Goby
Lawnmower Blenny
Brittlestar
Five Turbos (Who only clean part of the glass...)
Probably about 15 or so hermits
Emerald Crab x2

I have two Koralia 1050's in it and as far as I can see, it's plenty of movement.

As far as a sump goes, I do have one but I do not yet have my overflow and return pump. Once I get those, hopefully soon, I will be able to set that up and I'm hoping my water becomes a lot clearer.

It all looks good, cc23! A skimmer for the sump? Not everyone uses one, but it can sure help in the long run. Good luck!

Back