Green vs Red vs blue mandarin

Gigaah

Reefing newb
Ok I have two spotted mandarin(male and female). pretty straight forward. I also have what was sold as a Green mandarin. My girlfriend insists its a blue mandarin. ..so I did some digging and now I'm really confused. Maybe someone can help.

Well all Green Mandarinfish seem to be labeled synchiropus splendidus

While Red AND Blue seem to labeled Pterosynchiropus splendidus

Is the "Ptero" portion of the name just used as a variation modifier?
Because The description of and appearace of all 3 is VERY similar. A picture of a "blue" I was did have a more yellow/green/blue appearance. The reds looked the same but i might assume they are more red colored than orange?

Rofl!!! I was married for 9 years my friend. I know these things all to well. I told her she was probably right already Haha.

Do yourself a favor and just tell your girlfriend she's right...

:rofl:

Maybe it has to do with location.Like how one species become two from being isolated for 100's,1000's of years.Anthias,scott's fairy wrasse and clowns are a few that I know of and maybe mandarins too.

i had this explained to me once, the ptero is used to show that the mandarin is not the standard coloration, and dont quote me on this,but when the person who collected the original sambles of the green came across blue dominant and red dominate mandarins they gave them a secondary subspecies label, like chocolate, black, and standard labradors.
but im not 100% positive on that

+1 PRC!! If you think you might marry your GF, get used to it now and just tell her - "Gee honey, you were right! Thank you"

Your life will be so much more enjoyable.

Back