Greetings!

Northstar24

The Tang Herder
Grettings everyone! I am in the process of starting up a Saltwater tank. I used to have a FW setup a few years ago. My finacee and I just bought a house, and there is a huge gap in the lofted area that would be perfect for a tank

I'm currently lurking about reading and learning. I picked up the Conscientious Marine Aquarist before joining this site - I've read it cover to cover twice now

Once I decide on a tank size I am sure I'll have plenty of questions. So far I have a 20 gallon tank that I can use as a Sump/Refugium and thats it. This seems like a great board to participate in

Welcome to the reef! Great choice on a first book to read, and remember when your choosing the size of your aquarium the bigger you go the more fish, corals, and inverts you have to choose from. Also, it's easier to keep more stable water conditions with the more water volume in your system. That being said, can't wait to see the build thread!

Thank you for the welcome!

Bigger is better for saltwater, I have gotten that from everything I've read and from a friend that runs a 120 gallon FOWLR setup

I'm interested in clownfish myself. Everything I've read says they dont get along in groups. I am hoping that as such a small fish I can keep a few in such a large tank. My finacee has been shopping and researching with me, and she thinks the little puffer fish are cute, so I'm thinking I'll need one of those eventually too

Even in a large tank, you will be limited to two clownfish, of the same species. Some people have been lucky and have been able to keep more than two, or a couple different types in the same tank, but 99% of those attempts end up with the clownfish fighting to death. Even in a large tank like a 125 gallon or 240 gallon, they will fight.

Okay guys, I need some opinions, I may be able to get a setup sooner than I thought! I was crusing some local classifieds and I found a
saltwater setup for sale. I had a buddy with a salt tank review the photos and the description, but I'm looking for some addtional
feedback. This is for a 150 gallon set up and he is including everything described for $1k. Other than some salt creep (which he said
would be cleaned up before taking delivery) what do you guys think? The only thing I can think of is needing some addtional heating power,
as 150 Watts is far shy of the 2-5 watts per gallon I've read about. I also figure before I start stocking it i would need anoter 60 lbs of
live rock or so

150 Gallon Tank Complete setup--
Stand
x2 Corolia #3 High Output Power Heads
150W Heater
In stand sump setup
Protein skimmer
12GPD RO water treatment system
90 lbs of live rock
LIGHT: Current-USA Nova Extreme Pro -

I will do my best to answer your questions in their entirety. If I leave something out get back to me with your questions that you may
have. The sump is roughly 8 gallons capacity with three stages of filtration media. I removed the media and used s deep sand bed with
macro algae and a carbon scrubber. The return pump on the sump is 1400 GPH (gallons per hour). The sump setup also has a built in skimmer
which works quite nicely.
Along the back of the tank to the far left hangs the overflow box for the sump. This allows the water to drain from the tank down to the
sump, be cleaned and then returned to the display tank via 1400 GPH pump.
To the right of that we have the CPR backpack protein skimmer rated at for a 200 gallon tank. This thing works extremely efficiently and
must be emptied on average every other day, depending on the biological load on the tank and its beneficial bacteria which occupies it.
Also at the left side of the tank there is a Koralia 3 powerhead which I have included a photo of. There are two of these in the tank and
are rated at 950 GPH. Between the two power heads, the sump return pump and the CPR skimmer pump there is a total flow of 3900 GPH. That
essentially means that all the water is being pump out and returned to the tank at a rate of 26 times per hour.
As far as the light goes, well it speaks for it self. This thing is PHENOMENAL! Not much more to say about that.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• img0800.jpg
    img0800.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 178
  • img0802tb.jpg
    img0802tb.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 187
  • img0803j.jpg
    img0803j.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 175
  • img0806v.jpg
    img0806v.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 184
  • img0807n.jpg
    img0807n.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 190
  • img0808z.jpg
    img0808z.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0877.jpg
    IMG_0877.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 173
Personally,I think it is a smokining deal!

The lights alone is $600 new.Should be able to keep any corals under those lights.You may need addition powerheads,the 2 Koralia 3 seems a bit low for flow,maybe two more K3's.I'm not a fan of those sumps but you can't have everything,right?

...and he's throwing in an RO unit.Ask if copper ever been use in the system.Otherwise the rocks and sand will be useless.

I'd like to do a full blown 'fuge down the line - but this looks more than sufficient to get me started and its at a killer price

Kind of makes for a boring build thread though!

Got the green light from all neccesary parties! I am going to look at the setup Tuesday, and if all goes well, should be home by Saturday!

I'll post pictures/videos and start a buildup thread when it arrives

Back