Grounding Probe

Discussion in 'Reef Fishes' started by ricksli@nospam.optonline.net, Jul 28, 2003.

  1. Re: Grounding Probe ( something to read guys)

    humm stiring up the mind

    SG <abuse@kernelpanic.ca> wrote in message news:slrnbijrvf.msv.abuse@ogre.bishop...
    > Boomer quoted Someone who wrote:
    >
    > > o The resistance, as measured by my multimeter, between the ground
    > > probe and neutral/hot of the pumps/lights/etc. is infinite
    > >(I.E., open).

    >
    > This is odd. In North America the resistance between ground and
    > neutral should be zero as neutral is connected to ground at the power
    > panel. The resistance between hot and ground or neutral should be
    > infinite.


    yea odd, is there a different way of isolating the neutral/ground/hot wires elseware i
    know us US ppl can be odd sometimes.

    > >Let's start with induction, since that is the common myth.

    >
    > The author claims there is no inductive coupling, but we know there
    > must be. When there is a moving magnetic field (from powerheads and
    > other pumps) there will be current flow. It may be correct to say that
    > the inductive coupling is minimal. The other paper supports this theory.


    an issue for me is, even with minimal remember my issue is i had a pissed off ray :) what
    you might say is minimal might be pissing this ray off. capiable of picking up voltages
    well below the meters, the scope does pick up things they wont, but even then the ray
    might pick up even more, the people shock factor for me is seriously minimal no arms go in
    this tank when anything is pluged in anyways and i dont have kids to stick there hands in
    it.

    > >If induction were the cause, then moving the
    > >ground probe around the tank, or using two ground probes, would give
    > >us different results.

    >
    > This I have serious problems with. I would like to see the theory that
    > supports the argument.


    I never thought that 2 ground probes would give a different result I have 2 1 in tank 1 in
    sump interesting worthy of closer examination i didnt place the 2nd for any reason only
    because i figured better safe than sorry

    also the scope did show different values based on where in the tank the probe was
    positioned maybee the meters used in his "test" were not capiable of the difference.

    --
    richard reynolds
    richard.reynolds@usa.net
     
    richard reynolds, Aug 1, 2003
    #41
    1. Advertisements

  2. Boomer <wcwing@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:vii7c5mpak1i49@corp.supernews.com...
    > LOL " mandarin goby" , yup I know what you mean Richard, but that fish has often been

    put
    > in the wrong family by hobbyists, who 'think' it is Goby but actually is a Dragonet and
    > not a Goby


    and whats up with that how stoned was the person that made the link between Callionymidae
    and dragonet and "ray fined fishes"

    > --
    > Boomer


    :) just some minor humor mixed in with minor facts :)
    --
    richard reynolds
    richard.reynolds@usa.net
     
    richard reynolds, Aug 1, 2003
    #42
    1. Advertisements

  3. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    Boomer Guest

    This hobby is notorious for mistakes, myths, bad/incorrect data, folk lore,
    misunderstanding,etc.
    In the early day people usually thought they were Goby's, cause they kinda look like
    Goby's. Look at
    it this way, a Red Reef Lobster is not a Lobster, anymore than a Red Banded Coral Shrimp
    is a
    Shrimp or a Spiny Lobster is a Lobster.

    "and whats up with that how stoned was the person that made the link between Callionymidae
    and dragonet and "ray fined fishes"

    --
    Boomer

    Want to talk chemistry ? The Reef Chemistry Forum
    http://www.reefcentral.com/vbulletin/index.php

    Want to See More ?
    Please Join Our Growing Membership
    www.coralrealm.com

    If You See Me Running You Better Catch-Up
    "richard reynolds" <richard.reynolds@usa.net> wrote in message
    news:vVmWa.120158$R92.78308@news2.central.cox.net...
    : Boomer <wcwing@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:vii7c5mpak1i49@corp.supernews.com...
    : > LOL " mandarin goby" , yup I know what you mean Richard, but that fish has often been
    : put
    : > in the wrong family by hobbyists, who 'think' it is Goby but actually is a Dragonet
    and
    : > not a Goby
    :
    : and whats up with that how stoned was the person that made the link between
    Callionymidae
    : and dragonet and "ray fined fishes"
    :
    : > --
    : > Boomer
    :
    : :) just some minor humor mixed in with minor facts :)
    : --
    : richard reynolds
    : richard.reynolds@usa.net
    :
    :
    :
     
    Boomer, Aug 1, 2003
    #43
  4. Not sure if the last one went thru or not, but here it goes again
    I dont mean to SPOLI YOUR GUYS FUN but i would rather get shocked at the
    tank, then fix the problem than i would come home to findmy fish and corals
    dead from a weekend of heat or freezing with no light because some GFI
    circuit decided to trip because somebody is afraid to get shocked, and if
    afraid of electricity, relax guys, it doesnt hurt, UNLESS you have a serious
    problem, WELL THEN AGAIN< IT LEADS TO HAVING GOOD GROUNDS, not a good
    GFI!!!!!!!1 screw the GFI, fix the grounds!!
    wolfhedd. p.s. as i mentioned ebfore, i have been thru college level
    electronic engineering.
    "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    news:bg5hd7.2f0.0@poczta.onet.pl...
    > "mark" <mbernni@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    news:J2kVa.574586$Vi5.14281130@news1.calgary.shaw.ca...
    > > what rating of a GFCI should I get? 5-6mA or what ,to insure my safety?

    >
    > Standard, 5-6mA, protects you from geting killed.
    > It will not protect you from just getting shocked.
    > You can feel the current on the level of 1mA.
    > 5mA is already very painful and you GFCI could
    > pass this kind of current without tripping off.
    > If you can get lower rated GFCI - do not buy it...
    > It could trip without a good reason and it could be
    > anoying like hell.
    >
    > And one more thing as a warning - one time I purchased
    > a pluged GFCI and it tripped every time a power outage
    > happened. It did not matter it lasted 1 minute or 1 hour.
    > Power went down, GFCI plug disconnected the circuit :-(
    >
    > My tank powered by this GFCI was shut off for the whole
    > night just because power went down for a minute at 10pm
    > and I did not go to the tank to check things up...
    > Next morning my shrimp was laying bottom up on the sand.
    > It slowly recovered when I turned pumps on and it was
    > a miracle for me... but the GFCI plug went to the garbagge.
    >
     
    Lone6Wolfpack, Aug 8, 2003
    #44
  5. It came through, Wolf.

    However, your best option is a GCFI circuit, a regular circuit, and a grounding
    probe. ;)

    Some have been very inventive and installed a series of GCFI outlets under their
    tank, where each outlet can trip indenpendantly of the other outlets keeping
    everything else live, and all of that plugged into a regular unprotected
    circuit.

    Marc


    Lone6Wolfpack wrote:

    > Not sure if the last one went thru or not, but here it goes again
    > I dont mean to SPOLI YOUR GUYS FUN but i would rather get shocked at the
    > tank, then fix the problem than i would come home to findmy fish and corals
    > dead from a weekend of heat or freezing with no light because some GFI
    > circuit decided to trip because somebody is afraid to get shocked, and if
    > afraid of electricity, relax guys, it doesnt hurt, UNLESS you have a serious
    > problem, WELL THEN AGAIN< IT LEADS TO HAVING GOOD GROUNDS, not a good
    > GFI!!!!!!!1 screw the GFI, fix the grounds!!
    > wolfhedd. p.s. as i mentioned ebfore, i have been thru college level
    > electronic engineering.
    > "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    > news:bg5hd7.2f0.0@poczta.onet.pl...
    > > "mark" <mbernni@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    > news:J2kVa.574586$Vi5.14281130@news1.calgary.shaw.ca...
    > > > what rating of a GFCI should I get? 5-6mA or what ,to insure my safety?

    > >
    > > Standard, 5-6mA, protects you from geting killed.
    > > It will not protect you from just getting shocked.
    > > You can feel the current on the level of 1mA.
    > > 5mA is already very painful and you GFCI could
    > > pass this kind of current without tripping off.
    > > If you can get lower rated GFCI - do not buy it...
    > > It could trip without a good reason and it could be
    > > anoying like hell.
    > >
    > > And one more thing as a warning - one time I purchased
    > > a pluged GFCI and it tripped every time a power outage
    > > happened. It did not matter it lasted 1 minute or 1 hour.
    > > Power went down, GFCI plug disconnected the circuit :-(
    > >
    > > My tank powered by this GFCI was shut off for the whole
    > > night just because power went down for a minute at 10pm
    > > and I did not go to the tank to check things up...
    > > Next morning my shrimp was laying bottom up on the sand.
    > > It slowly recovered when I turned pumps on and it was
    > > a miracle for me... but the GFCI plug went to the garbagge.
    > >


    --
    Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
     
    Marc Levenson, Aug 8, 2003
    #45
  6. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    Stephen Guest

    Where does your good ground come from?
    I have not one single piece of aquarium equipment that includes a ground
    line. All are two pole and include only a hot and neutral wire. In that
    situation, a serious problem is going to result in frying your tank
    inhabitants before it finally draws the 15 amps required to trip the
    breaker. If it does not burn down your house as well. If just the hot wire
    is exposed and considering the conductivity of sea water, it could easily
    stop the heart of a person who might be solidly grounded at their feet or
    perhaps the other arm.

    The ground probe is there to prevent death. Not to drain away minute induced
    voltages.
    As Marc suggests, one who uses common sense will incorporate multiple GFCI
    strips so that a fault in one circuit will not pull down the whole system.
    Use of a grounding probe is just a sensible safety precaution...

    And by the way, small electrical shocks may not hurt, but if you would like
    to put on a public demonstration where you hold a hot wire in one hand and
    stand on a ground to demonstrate your point for us... Then more power to
    you. I will certainly attend such a display with my video camera in hand. I
    am sure I could win 10K from stupidest home videos...

    Stephen
    --------------------------------------------------
    In-Dash MP3
    http://www.highwaymp3.com/
    --------------------------------------------------
    "Lone6Wolfpack" <lone6wolfpack@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    news:tbSYa.3065$M6.197692@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...
    > Not sure if the last one went thru or not, but here it goes again
    > I dont mean to SPOLI YOUR GUYS FUN but i would rather get shocked at the
    > tank, then fix the problem than i would come home to findmy fish and

    corals
    > dead from a weekend of heat or freezing with no light because some GFI
    > circuit decided to trip because somebody is afraid to get shocked, and if
    > afraid of electricity, relax guys, it doesnt hurt, UNLESS you have a

    serious
    > problem, WELL THEN AGAIN< IT LEADS TO HAVING GOOD GROUNDS, not a good
    > GFI!!!!!!!1 screw the GFI, fix the grounds!!
    > wolfhedd. p.s. as i mentioned ebfore, i have been thru college level
    > electronic engineering.
    > "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    > news:bg5hd7.2f0.0@poczta.onet.pl...
    > > "mark" <mbernni@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    > news:J2kVa.574586$Vi5.14281130@news1.calgary.shaw.ca...
    > > > what rating of a GFCI should I get? 5-6mA or what ,to insure my

    safety?
    > >
    > > Standard, 5-6mA, protects you from geting killed.
    > > It will not protect you from just getting shocked.
    > > You can feel the current on the level of 1mA.
    > > 5mA is already very painful and you GFCI could
    > > pass this kind of current without tripping off.
    > > If you can get lower rated GFCI - do not buy it...
    > > It could trip without a good reason and it could be
    > > anoying like hell.
    > >
    > > And one more thing as a warning - one time I purchased
    > > a pluged GFCI and it tripped every time a power outage
    > > happened. It did not matter it lasted 1 minute or 1 hour.
    > > Power went down, GFCI plug disconnected the circuit :-(
    > >
    > > My tank powered by this GFCI was shut off for the whole
    > > night just because power went down for a minute at 10pm
    > > and I did not go to the tank to check things up...
    > > Next morning my shrimp was laying bottom up on the sand.
    > > It slowly recovered when I turned pumps on and it was
    > > a miracle for me... but the GFCI plug went to the garbagge.
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Stephen, Aug 9, 2003
    #46
  7. Marc Levenson, Aug 9, 2003
    #47
  8. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    J Guest

    some here just don't get it. If you think GFCI = Bad you need help ASAP. The
    GFCI is not there to stop leaking current but to prevent electrocution DUH.
    Some people drink and drive or ride without seatbelts (this GFCI is no
    diffrent) and think it's ok, oh well Darwin award nominees. DEAD MEN TELL NO
    TALES think about it.


    "Marc Levenson" <melev@swbell.net> wrote in message
    news:3F348B86.38B6463C@swbell.net...
    >
    >
    > Stephen wrote:
    >
    > > And by the way, small electrical shocks may not hurt, but if you would

    like
    > > to put on a public demonstration where you hold a hot wire in one hand

    and
    > > stand on a ground to demonstrate your point for us... Then more power to
    > > you.

    >
    > "more power to you..." hehehe That was awfully punny.
    >
    > Marc
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    > Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    > Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
    >
    >
     
    J, Aug 9, 2003
    #48
  9. sounds like a good idea about GFI for each but when you say my best bet, i
    respect your opinion, but considering what i said what would that be in my
    best interest? i dont want my corals and fish dead incase my GFI trips and
    when i used to get shocked it didnt hurt, and since i grounded everything
    properly i have no problems, lessening a disaster by GFI tripping. .
    WolfHedd
    "Marc Levenson" <melev@swbell.net> wrote in message
    news:3F340C29.DB0B9769@swbell.net...
    > It came through, Wolf.
    >
    > However, your best option is a GCFI circuit, a regular circuit, and a

    grounding
    > probe. ;)
    >
    > Some have been very inventive and installed a series of GCFI outlets under

    their
    > tank, where each outlet can trip indenpendantly of the other outlets

    keeping
    > everything else live, and all of that plugged into a regular unprotected
    > circuit.
    >
    > Marc
    >
    >
    > Lone6Wolfpack wrote:
    >
    > > Not sure if the last one went thru or not, but here it goes again
    > > I dont mean to SPOLI YOUR GUYS FUN but i would rather get shocked at the
    > > tank, then fix the problem than i would come home to findmy fish and

    corals
    > > dead from a weekend of heat or freezing with no light because some GFI
    > > circuit decided to trip because somebody is afraid to get shocked, and

    if
    > > afraid of electricity, relax guys, it doesnt hurt, UNLESS you have a

    serious
    > > problem, WELL THEN AGAIN< IT LEADS TO HAVING GOOD GROUNDS, not a good
    > > GFI!!!!!!!1 screw the GFI, fix the grounds!!
    > > wolfhedd. p.s. as i mentioned ebfore, i have been thru college level
    > > electronic engineering.
    > > "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    > > news:bg5hd7.2f0.0@poczta.onet.pl...
    > > > "mark" <mbernni@shaw.ca> wrote in message

    > > news:J2kVa.574586$Vi5.14281130@news1.calgary.shaw.ca...
    > > > > what rating of a GFCI should I get? 5-6mA or what ,to insure my

    safety?
    > > >
    > > > Standard, 5-6mA, protects you from geting killed.
    > > > It will not protect you from just getting shocked.
    > > > You can feel the current on the level of 1mA.
    > > > 5mA is already very painful and you GFCI could
    > > > pass this kind of current without tripping off.
    > > > If you can get lower rated GFCI - do not buy it...
    > > > It could trip without a good reason and it could be
    > > > anoying like hell.
    > > >
    > > > And one more thing as a warning - one time I purchased
    > > > a pluged GFCI and it tripped every time a power outage
    > > > happened. It did not matter it lasted 1 minute or 1 hour.
    > > > Power went down, GFCI plug disconnected the circuit :-(
    > > >
    > > > My tank powered by this GFCI was shut off for the whole
    > > > night just because power went down for a minute at 10pm
    > > > and I did not go to the tank to check things up...
    > > > Next morning my shrimp was laying bottom up on the sand.
    > > > It slowly recovered when I turned pumps on and it was
    > > > a miracle for me... but the GFCI plug went to the garbagge.
    > > >

    >
    > --
    > Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    > Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    > Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
    >
    >
     
    Lone6Wolfpack, Aug 16, 2003
    #49
  10. GFi is not bad, they work, have alot of false alarms and dead batteries on
    peoples alarm systems cause somebody was using the hairdryer in the bathroom
    and splashed water on their hair, then they elft, the burglar broke in, took
    the jewels, customer has the technician come to their house(me) asks me what
    is wrong, while explaning to me the problem, i let them explain for about 5
    seconds until i interrupted them ans asked them if they have a gfi outlet in
    teh house, they reply with WHATS THAT? so i show them the gfi, and the
    reset buttons popped out cause of some fucking hypothetical leak current
    that hurts nobody except their wallet. i charged them 97 for labor, and 25
    for the battery and 137 dollars later, the customer now knows what a gfi
    outlet is. I DONT WANT ONE ON MY TANK WHERE WATER IS INVOLVED, BELIEVE ME.
    I TREASURE MY TANK AND MY LIFE. Ground probe is enough. Trust Me.
    WolfHedd.

    "J" <jose0779@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:vd7Za.104903$YN5.72871@sccrnsc01...
    > some here just don't get it. If you think GFCI = Bad you need help ASAP.

    The
    > GFCI is not there to stop leaking current but to prevent electrocution

    DUH.
    > Some people drink and drive or ride without seatbelts (this GFCI is no
    > diffrent) and think it's ok, oh well Darwin award nominees. DEAD MEN TELL

    NO
    > TALES think about it.
    >
    >
    > "Marc Levenson" <melev@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > news:3F348B86.38B6463C@swbell.net...
    > >
    > >
    > > Stephen wrote:
    > >
    > > > And by the way, small electrical shocks may not hurt, but if you would

    > like
    > > > to put on a public demonstration where you hold a hot wire in one hand

    > and
    > > > stand on a ground to demonstrate your point for us... Then more power

    to
    > > > you.

    > >
    > > "more power to you..." hehehe That was awfully punny.
    > >
    > > Marc
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    > > Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    > > Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Lone6Wolfpack, Aug 16, 2003
    #50
  11. GFi is not bad, they work, have alot of false alarms and dead batteries on
    peoples alarm systems cause somebody was using the hairdryer in the bathroom
    and splashed water on their hair, then they elft, the burglar broke in, took
    the jewels, customer has the technician come to their house(me) asks me what
    is wrong, while explaning to me the problem, i let them explain for about 5
    seconds until i interrupted them ans asked them if they have a gfi outlet in
    teh house, they reply with WHATS THAT? so i show them the gfi, and the
    reset buttons popped out cause of some fucking hypothetical leak current
    that hurts nobody except their wallet. i charged them 97 for labor, and 25
    for the battery and 137 dollars later, the customer now knows what a gfi
    outlet is. I DONT WANT ONE ON MY TANK WHERE WATER IS INVOLVED, BELIEVE ME.
    I TREASURE MY TANK AND MY LIFE. Ground probe is enough. Trust Me.
    WolfHedd.

    "J" <jose0779@comcast.net> wrote in message
    news:vd7Za.104903$YN5.72871@sccrnsc01...
    > some here just don't get it. If you think GFCI = Bad you need help ASAP.

    The
    > GFCI is not there to stop leaking current but to prevent electrocution

    DUH.
    > Some people drink and drive or ride without seatbelts (this GFCI is no
    > diffrent) and think it's ok, oh well Darwin award nominees. DEAD MEN TELL

    NO
    > TALES think about it.
    >
    >
    > "Marc Levenson" <melev@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > news:3F348B86.38B6463C@swbell.net...
    > >
    > >
    > > Stephen wrote:
    > >
    > > > And by the way, small electrical shocks may not hurt, but if you would

    > like
    > > > to put on a public demonstration where you hold a hot wire in one hand

    > and
    > > > stand on a ground to demonstrate your point for us... Then more power

    to
    > > > you.

    > >
    > > "more power to you..." hehehe That was awfully punny.
    > >
    > > Marc
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    > > Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    > > Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
    > >
    > >

    >
    >
     
    Lone6Wolfpack, Aug 16, 2003
    #51
  12. I agree with you. You don't want a dead tank. Neither do I.

    I have two circuits to my tanks. One is a GFCI (got the spelling right this
    time guys?), the other is not. I have half my plugs in the GFCI circuit
    (lighting, heaters, and such) and some pumps in the regular circuit. The
    grounding probe goes to the regular circuit.

    Two days ago, my son woke me up to tell me the tanks were beeping and something
    was wrong.

    The lights were on in one tank, and not the other. The 29g reef still had
    continual flow from my return pump and a powerhead, plugged into a UPS device
    that was chirping. The 55g was pretty much dead except for two small powerheads
    in the tank, and the fan and light over the refugium was running. My skimmer,
    return pump, Tunze pump were all off. That circuit was dead.

    Went in the garage, and the GFCI was not tripped, and the other breaker beneath
    is seemed to be fine as well. After a few trips back and forth, testing outlets
    and rearranging cords, it turns out the regular circuit had tripped - it was the
    *next* breaker down.

    I have things marked, but not marked well enough. I'll get this stuff ID'd
    better for the next time something strange occurs. Btw, in this case, we have
    had a number of heavy storms and it had tripped the breaker I believe.

    No losses.

    Marc


    Lone6Wolfpack wrote:

    > sounds like a good idea about GFI for each but when you say my best bet, i
    > respect your opinion, but considering what i said what would that be in my
    > best interest? i dont want my corals and fish dead incase my GFI trips and
    > when i used to get shocked it didnt hurt, and since i grounded everything
    > properly i have no problems, lessening a disaster by GFI tripping. .
    > WolfHedd
    > "Marc Levenson" <melev@swbell.net> wrote in message
    > news:3F340C29.DB0B9769@swbell.net...
    > > It came through, Wolf.
    > >
    > > However, your best option is a GCFI circuit, a regular circuit, and a

    > grounding
    > > probe. ;)
    > >
    > > Some have been very inventive and installed a series of GCFI outlets under

    > their
    > > tank, where each outlet can trip indenpendantly of the other outlets

    > keeping
    > > everything else live, and all of that plugged into a regular unprotected
    > > circuit.
    > >
    > > Marc
    > >
    > >
    > > Lone6Wolfpack wrote:
    > >
    > > > Not sure if the last one went thru or not, but here it goes again
    > > > I dont mean to SPOLI YOUR GUYS FUN but i would rather get shocked at the
    > > > tank, then fix the problem than i would come home to findmy fish and

    > corals
    > > > dead from a weekend of heat or freezing with no light because some GFI
    > > > circuit decided to trip because somebody is afraid to get shocked, and

    > if
    > > > afraid of electricity, relax guys, it doesnt hurt, UNLESS you have a

    > serious
    > > > problem, WELL THEN AGAIN< IT LEADS TO HAVING GOOD GROUNDS, not a good
    > > > GFI!!!!!!!1 screw the GFI, fix the grounds!!
    > > > wolfhedd. p.s. as i mentioned ebfore, i have been thru college level
    > > > electronic engineering.
    > > > "Pszemol" <Pszemol@PolBox.com> wrote in message
    > > > news:bg5hd7.2f0.0@poczta.onet.pl...
    > > > > "mark" <mbernni@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > > news:J2kVa.574586$Vi5.14281130@news1.calgary.shaw.ca...
    > > > > > what rating of a GFCI should I get? 5-6mA or what ,to insure my

    > safety?
    > > > >
    > > > > Standard, 5-6mA, protects you from geting killed.
    > > > > It will not protect you from just getting shocked.
    > > > > You can feel the current on the level of 1mA.
    > > > > 5mA is already very painful and you GFCI could
    > > > > pass this kind of current without tripping off.
    > > > > If you can get lower rated GFCI - do not buy it...
    > > > > It could trip without a good reason and it could be
    > > > > anoying like hell.
    > > > >
    > > > > And one more thing as a warning - one time I purchased
    > > > > a pluged GFCI and it tripped every time a power outage
    > > > > happened. It did not matter it lasted 1 minute or 1 hour.
    > > > > Power went down, GFCI plug disconnected the circuit :-(
    > > > >
    > > > > My tank powered by this GFCI was shut off for the whole
    > > > > night just because power went down for a minute at 10pm
    > > > > and I did not go to the tank to check things up...
    > > > > Next morning my shrimp was laying bottom up on the sand.
    > > > > It slowly recovered when I turned pumps on and it was
    > > > > a miracle for me... but the GFCI plug went to the garbagge.
    > > > >

    > >
    > > --
    > > Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    > > Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    > > Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
    > >
    > >


    --
    Personal Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com/oanda/index.html
    Business Page: http://www.sparklingfloorservice.com
    Marine Hobbyist: http://www.melevsreef.com
     
    Marc Levenson, Aug 16, 2003
    #52
  13. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    Pszemol Guest

    "Lone6Wolfpack" <lone6wolfpack@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:I2f%a.4351$7z1.399@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
    > > The ground probe is there to prevent death.
    > > Not to drain away minute induced voltages.

    > Agreed


    As an electronic engineer do you agree that the probe will not
    drain to ground minute voltages (or rather currents)? Strange...

    In my opinion it will drain those currents and this is not good.
    Yes, it is good in the meaning the probe will trip the breaker...
    But currents will create unhealthy environment for tank inhabitants.
    Without the probe there would be no stray currents in the tank
    since relatively to ground it would be insulated by glass&wood.
     
    Pszemol, Aug 22, 2003
    #53
  14. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    Pszemol Guest

    "david" <im@fedup.com> wrote in message news:bi9rsf$6cc$1@hercules.btinternet.com...
    > > As an electronic engineer do you agree that the probe will not
    > > drain to ground minute voltages (or rather currents)? Strange...
    > >
    > > In my opinion it will drain those currents and this is not good.
    > > Yes, it is good in the meaning the probe will trip the breaker...
    > > But currents will create unhealthy environment for tank inhabitants.
    > > Without the probe there would be no stray currents in the tank
    > > since relatively to ground it would be insulated by glass&wood.

    >
    > but then in the sea it would be connected to ground.


    Where have you seen sea waves made with an electric powerheads?
    Do you understand, that there is a huge difference in terms of
    electric environment when you compare fish tank and any ocean?
    Water movement are powered with gravitation, termal events, but
    not electric powerheads which could leak electricity to water.
    The same situation is with lights. Fluorescent tubes leak a lot
    of electricity to the souroundings, including tank water...
    Especially, when they do not operate near grounded metal reflector.
    Have you seen parts of the ocean lighted with fluoro fixtures? ;-)

    My opinion is that we cannot blindly copy one feature of the ocean
    (water is grounded there) without contemplating the consequences
    of this kind of decision in our artificial fish tank environment,
    normally FULL OF INDUCTED or LEAKING ELECTRICITY from many electric
    devices making it posible for the fish tank to work.

    > how do fish senses like sharks work ? :) ?


    Sharks/Rays are very different from an ordinary bony fish like tang or clown.
    I would not torture any shark in a home aquarium... I have read stories about
    fast growing 60cm sharks in people basements swimming in a 4 metter tanks
    and I got strong recollections about a goldfish in a 1-litter fishbowl :-((
    With a big difference that shark psyche is much more developed making the
    comparison even worse for a very complicated fish like shark.
     
    Pszemol, Aug 24, 2003
    #54
  15. Richard Reynolds, Aug 25, 2003
    #55
  16. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    Pszemol Guest

    "Richard Reynolds" <reynolds46@cox.net> wrote in message news:sjg2b.10420$Qy4.1831@fed1read05...
    > what kinda electrical test equipment do you have ???


    Why are you interested in this subject?
    Do you want to hire me to do some testing for you? :))
    I am affraid I cannot help you with your sharks,
    if this is the reason you asked... ;-)

    To answer your question, I do not "own" any sofisticated
    equipment beside some universal/popular ones used in my
    home projects, but I work as a engineer for a company designing
    a lot of electronic equipment (digital and analog circuits) so
    I have an access to many, many different meters :)
     
    Pszemol, Aug 25, 2003
    #56
  17. ricksli@nospam.optonline.net

    jdougs Guest

    "Boomer" <wcwing@chartermi.net> wrote in message
    news:vikvk9c048de6b@corp.supernews.com...
    > This hobby is notorious for mistakes, myths, bad/incorrect data, folk

    lore,
    > misunderstanding,etc.
    > In the early day people usually thought they were Goby's, cause they kinda

    look like
    > Goby's. Look at
    > it this way, a Red Reef Lobster is not a Lobster, anymore than a Red

    Banded Coral Shrimp
    > is a
    > Shrimp or a Spiny Lobster is a Lobster.
    >



    I was not aware of this. What ARE red Reef Lobsters and Coral Banded
    Shrimp?

    Doug
     
    jdougs, Sep 1, 2003
    #57
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.