Grounding probes??

OhNoNemo

i love triggers
Just been reading up on these.They seem very simple and a small price to pay to be safer .Apparently if you have any stray voltage in your tank it can really start to mess up your fish over time.So ,how many have one?

I wasn't too worried about the safety issues to us(not that we shouldn't be),but rather the affect it may have on our fish long term,IF there was any stray voltage.

I use one. I have had incidents with stray voltage in every single one of my tanks at some point. I won't go without one. Especially after I've been shocked when I put my hand in the tank! I felt so bad that my animals were having to live with that.

Thanks for the input biff,at 15-20 bucks,i can't see any reason not to.I'll be getting one.Like you said,why subject our poor little fish to shock treatments.I read also,that the amount can be so small that we may not be able to feel it,but they sure can.

GFI outlets will not eleminate all voltage in a tank. They will most likely keep you from getting shocked though. The majority of the stray voltage in a tank is caused by the actual running of the powerheads. They have a magnetic field, the impeller is in relative motion, and the saltwater is a current carrying conductor. Those are the 3 things you need to generate electricity. So just the simple act of the powerheads spinning and operating perfectly will generate a very small amount of voltage. I would get roughly 4-8 volts in my tank when I measured it. The only way to get rid of that 100% is to ground the water. Also, GFIs can fail though rarely. A ground rod is a good backup should that ever happen.

In my 90 recently, I measured each of the powerheads putting out approximately 5 to 10 volts. Plus a few volts from my return pump and skimmer pumps. In all, there was around 50 volts going through my tank. It was significant.

GFI outlets will not eleminate all voltage in a tank. They will most likely keep you from getting shocked though. The majority of the stray voltage in a tank is caused by the actual running of the powerheads. They have a magnetic field, the impeller is in relative motion, and the saltwater is a current carrying conductor. Those are the 3 things you need to generate electricity. So just the simple act of the powerheads spinning and operating perfectly will generate a very small amount of voltage. I would get roughly 4-8 volts in my tank when I measured it. The only way to get rid of that 100% is to ground the water. Also, GFIs can fail though rarely. A ground rod is a good backup should that ever happen.
And stuff i read suggest this is more than enough to mess with our fish

Just remember under the worst conditions ever you could be killed by 30 volts. Oh and the most deadly voltage is 110v cause no one respects it.

Yes I run one NOW... I shocked my self good a few weeks/month ago my heater went out.... Alsmost all of my stuff is on GFCI but I still have ground prob just in case.

Everything in my system is also plugged into a GFCI that Mng77777777... was kind enough to come over and install for me a while back. My tank GFCI is also hooked up to a switch on the wall that I can flip to instantly turn everything off if I need to. And when I accidentally bump that switch, it instantly turns everything off too, hahaha.

Back