Growing Chaeto

UnderwaterWorld

Reef enthusiast
So here's my idea: if it's good please don't steal it

I'll set up a 5 gallon-10 gallon tank with no substrate, cycle it with some shrimp or small piece of live rock,

then I'll put chaeto it and that's it and I will add some Kent Marine Mirco Vert or similar products and I will have one of two of my 36 watt Nova Extreme T5 over it to grow quickly

When I do a water change from my 34 I will put that water in this tank so that there are some nutrients.

I will have a HOB filter without carbon for some circulation and I can keep the water at the optimium temp for growing chaeto

Then I'll just sell it online for like $3 profit and the rest of the cost will be for shipping.

Do-able?

Why not do all that in your fuge so your tank gets the benefit of the algae?

I guess growing Chaeto is becoming an increased business opportunity. $3 is a damn good deal. Let me know when you have some to sell, i might still be interested by that time. Even though im trying to grow the tiny amount of Chaeto that i have in my main tank until i can increase the light for my fuge.

Last edited:
Why not do all that in your fuge so your tank gets the benefit of the algae?

I guess growing Chaeto is becoming an increased business opportunity. $3 is a damn good deal. Let me know when you have some to sell, i might still be interested by that time. Even though im trying to grow the tiny amount of Chaeto that i have in my main tank until i can increase the light for my fuge.

Last edited:
Your doing this for profit?After electricity consumption,I don't see much $$$.Wait a second,this is your parents home.I would put a little layer of aragonite sand(maybe .5-1''),keep live rock and rubble in there and one to small cheap fish-chromis perhaps.You're need a constant supply of nutrients not just when you change the water from the main tank.

alright, I think the damsel is, and so how often should I feed it? A lot? Anything else I should be adding? I want to have the chaeto grow like crazy

What should the lighting period be?

I'll have my HOB filter for flow, should I use the 150 or 200? I have both. Also I'll be using 72 w of T5 and see if I can fit any other flourescent lights on it.

I'll get some arganite sand, how much do I need?

The reason I recommend the aragonite is the added surface for bacteria and it will help buffer the water.You don't need much,just enough for .5 to 1'' bed which will be 5-10lbs for a 10g. tank.Of course it will be okay without sand if you have decent amount of live rock.

I would run the lights at least 10 hours a day and use the filter with the most flow.Chaeto doesn't need much light and the more nutrient the faster it will grow.You may want to supplement with iron as well.

The reason I recommend the aragonite is the added surface for bacteria and it will help buffer the water.You don't need much,just enough for .5 to 1'' bed which will be 5-10lbs for a 10g. tank.Of course it will be okay without sand if you have decent amount of live rock.

I would run the lights at least 10 hours a day and use the filter with the most flow.Chaeto doesn't need much light and the more nutrient the faster it will grow.You may want to supplement with iron as well.

So if I get the sand, how much live rock will I need? I was hoping not much like in most refigiums.

Should I run carbon or no because it will remove some of the nutrients. What will the Iron do and where can I find that?

I've heard the more light the better though, hmmm, I have 2 36 w T5 and come flourescents too, what should I run?

You don't need much-just a few pounds at least.I've read that iron makes macro-algae grow fast.Many fish stores or one of the big chain stores like Petsmart may carry it.I know the 2Doc carries that supplement.Just one of the T5 will be plenty,you can run all of them if you prefer.Macroalgae grows the best under 3000k-6700k bulbs.I have chaeto under 10k and it grows fast,way to fast for me.Honestly,I don't think chaeto cares what lights its under so maybe that just applies to other macroalgae.

Don't buy any supplement unless your not getting the growth that your looking for.I would use an iron supplement specifically for saltwater macro-algae and not freshwater plants.You can run the bulbs as you have them listed although actinic does nothing for growth.Change it out with a 6500k bulb if you like.

Iron is iron and plants are plants. I don't really see why there'd be a difference between iron for freshwater and iron for saltwater.

Errrrrr.............cause algae isn't a plant and there's aren't any true plants in saltwater.There are plenty of Iron supplement specifically for saltwater,why use a supplement for a freshwater aquarium?

the yellower the bulb the better for algae. I have great growth just using a 10dollar floodlight bulb from lowes. phosphate is another food the chaeto will need to grow. hmmm, how do dose phosphate? use tap water maybe? maybe just tap water alone will supply all the nutrients it needs to flourish?

Back