Growth Rate - Occelarous Clown?

Rcpilot

Reef enthusiast
Nemo is still pretty small. I've had him almost 2 yrs and he's still only about 1.5" long. I got him when he was just over an inch long. He may have grown 1/2" or 3/8" in 2yrs.

Is that normal for a tank raised clown?

IME those kind of clowns dont really experience large and quick growth. I`m sure there are exceptions but like I said I`ve never seen it. The maroon gold stripe on the other hand I have seen significant gwowth. JME

The occelarous are rather small for clowns. I was just curious about his slow growth.

I guess it's fine. He's the only fish in the 30g tank, so plenty of swimming room.

I have a big, fat female tomato clown (Clowny). She's probably about 3 inches long. Three years ago or so, I got her a buddy (Alexander). He was about 3/4 of an inch long when I got him. He is still 3/4 of an inch long and has never grown one bit. So if anyone has an answer to RC's question, I'd be interested to hear it too!

Maybe I should buy a large female and pimp Nemo out for his little swimmers? :shock:

Would I need an anenome for a mated pair of clowns?

My clowns never seem to grow. I always blamed it on my low amount of feeding, but who knows.

I DO want another fish, but can't make up my mind. I like so many of the smaller fish, but I realize I could add 1 or maybe 2 more fish to my 30g tank and then it would be at max IMO.

I wish I had the $$$ to set up my 90g tank. I'd have about 20 little bitty fish in there. :mrgreen:

1 Pigmy Angel
Red Striped Gobies (at least 4)
Blue Chromis' (at least 4 maybe 5)
1 more Occelarous Clown
2 or 3 Orange Lined Cardinals
2 or 3 Yellow Headed Jawfish
2 or 3 Chalk Bass

Thats probably WAY overstocked. I just like schooling fish. Many of the fish I listed do well in small groups. They also occupy and use different parts of the overall tank.

The pygmy angel will cruise back and forth all day and pick at the rocks. This is more of a "maybe" fish to be added last. I plan to have a tank full of acans and zoas. If it took a bite of anything, I'd have to trade it off.

The red striped gobies will hang out on rocks all day and do a little darting around together, but I'll bet they would stay close to the rocks.

The blue chromois will stay in the middle of the tank and probably swim laps all day

The pair of clowns will find a corner and settle down permanently

The orange lined cardinals will cruise open water and hide out under overhangs but I doubt they will interfear with the red stripe gobies due to size differences.

The chalk bass will probably hover around here and there, moving slowly around the rocks throughout the day. I'm guessing these will behave like a miniature large-mouth bass. Ambush predator that sits around most of the time.

The jawfish will pick a spot in the sand and dig a few burrows here and there. Only venturing into open water at feeding time.

RC Jawfish dont really do all that well in groups, one male and one female would be all that I would put...in my 180. I wouldnt do that in a 90 JMO.

RC Jawfish dont really do all that well in groups, one male and one female would be all that I would put...in my 180. I wouldnt do that in a 90 JMO.

Hmm, I've been reading up on them. Some of them are said to do well in groups of 2 or more in large aquariums.

Whats large?

Personally I think that a "large" home aquarium is one with a 6' footprint. That is only my opinion though. Maybe do some asking around? Over on Reefsanctuary they have a club dedicated to Blue Spots and I think that a lot of the info would transfer to pearly or yellow head jawfish.

Jawfish are some of my favorites.

I have two true percula's my female is just about 21/2" and my male is 11/2" I have had them for just over 10 years. In a 240 and now they live in my 850.

If you want a bigger clown you need to go with a marron, cinnamon, tomato, or clarkii

Back