GSP not opening?

jpjones

Reefing newb
Is it common or not for a coral to stay closed for several days. My GSP has bin closed for 3 days now without a single polyp open. The water checks out good with no change. The only change has bin moving the powerheads. One hermit was using him as a perch but did seem to be bothering it just sitting.

I don't know if it's normal, but I'd say just be patient. Something spooked them or pissed them off and they've decided to sleep it off.

I had some really nice brown button polyps that were doing great. One day I noticed the largest one (probably the original frag) looked a little raggy around the edges. Within a few days, all of them had closed up and shriveled up. I just set them in some medium flow and left them alone. A month later, they are opened up again and looking for a meal. I fed them some brine today and all 6 or 7 of them ate up.

I have zoa colonies that don't open up now and then. Sometimes for 1/2 the day. Just leave them be and give them time. They will open eventually.

That's weird for GSP since they're so hardy. There isn't much that can keep them closed. Although changing flow might have done it. Give them some time. It's not unusual for anything to close up for a few days at a time for no reason.

It has grown over 2 in all the way around and has bin very hardy. Even with the crab on it stayed open. Okay I'll wait and be patient. Thanks

I acually Have just stuck a Bleached acro that I found lying around. into my GSP colony in hopes that it will start growth on it. Everywhere i place it a lil piece sticks. they closed up for all of 30 sec.

They generaly dont stay closed, i would give them a few days then start to worry

I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet their getting just a little bit to much flow.
If their getting a fairly strong current across them,it could cause them to stay closed up.

My GSP stayed closed for a bout a week after being introduce 2 weeks prior.I believe its normal and like others say,give it a little more time.Mine is getting high flow.

I had some that never opened, just started turning all brown and getting all jelly like... If anyone can kill GSP's, its me... I killed green button polyps too...

Tell me your secret Mike!! I have to give away my rock of GSP because they are overrunning the zoas and ricordeas next to them!

they also like a bit less light, I have seen them shrivel and close up with too intense lighting or too high flow. I agree with everyone to wait it out for a week or so. After that, try moving them to a low point in the tank, away from strong flow, you could just have a colony that is extra sensitive

-Doc

They have bin in the tank for almost 3 months and never stayed closed for more than a minute or so. They are at the bottom of tank now. With the power heads moved there is less flow now on them than before. I was going to wait a week or so and if still nothing I was going to put the
p-heads back where they were just to see if they open back up.
Thanks

Back