Gunk in back chambers

Shane1

Reefing newb
Hi all back with more questions. I am getting more comfortable and confident with the tank thanks to all of your help. So I really appreciate it.
I did a water change today and also cleaned the sponge filter, cartridge filter and had a look around where the bio balls are. There is a lot of gunk at thet bottom of the back chambers. From what I'm reading and learning this is probably causing a bit of a nitrate issue. My nitrate reading is 15ish. How do you get back in there and clean all the gunk out or do I even need to worry about it?
Next question is about the bio balls. I've searched the forum and google and came to the conclusion that I would like to remove them if you all think my tank will support it. I think I have at least 8 - 10 pounds of live rock and about an inch of live sand.
Thanks again for all your time and help. Here are some updated pics since I've made a few changes. Look how different the bleached leather looks.
Before
DSCF1388.jpg

After
DSCF1463.jpg

I got the actinic light working. It was a bad swith on the hood so I just by-passed it.
DSCF1462.jpg

Yes, you can remove the bioballs. Do it GRADUALLY...I say, maybe a cup of bioballs every few days or every week until they're all gone. If you do it too fast, you will not give the bacteria enough time to form elsewhere to makeup for the loss of bacteria on the bioballs.

Oh, you mighth want to scrape and siphon out the hair algae in the back of your tank :)

Back