Gurgling noise

Sunshine

Reef enthusiast
I got my new light today. Put it on the tank, now that the glass covers aren't on the tank, the gurgling noise from the overflow is really loud. It's where it sucks it from the tank to the sump. Any way to make it quiet ? It's a MegaFlow.

Try Cleanning it out with some kind of brush. It may be backflowing by a airbubble or clog. Also is your water low or is there any other water flowing into it?

It's not low. It stays where it's at all the time. The sump will go low. The aquarium is drilled with a box in the middle towards the back. That's where the MegaFlow is at, in that box.

Thats a durso assebly
two things you can try
1- reduce your flow into the tank so that the water is draining slower
2- increase the size of the vent hole on the top of your drainpipe....all you need to do is take a drill and drill the hole a little bigger

i would try #2 first

you are getting a gurgle noise because the pipe is sucking air to try to drain water

This is what it looks like. The top part was missing, so we had to buy a pvc part and drilled a hole in it and stuck a tube in it. We thought without the tube, salt would form on the hole and seal it shut.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 299
hehe i had a gurgeling noise in my HOB overflow, and i just ended up folding up a towl, putting a couple ruber bands around it, and sitting that over the top of the overflow. Quiet as can be now! hehehe

Here is a related question: why do the overflow pipe is usually almost the same height as the water level? Why not have it a bit lower?

Does the size of the hole have anything to do with the water flow ? I remember when we set this up, we had a hard time getting everything in sync. I haven't done anything to it yet, waiting till the weekend when we have time to mess with it. Don't want to get into a disaster.

Back