Guys I Need Some Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And if your nitrates are at 60, and they're not coming from your well water (which you say tested 0 for nitrates), you either have too many fish, are feeding too much, something died, or you disturbed the sand bed too much.

ok i dont deal with lights because on my dads 55 gallon tank i meesed the entire light system so that was 500 bucks out of my wallet...........but i do know that im running reef lights i just dont really know what kind

and as for the fish i have a blue tang,nassu tang, flamming hawkfish, longnose hawkfish, black rock gobi, blenny, wrasse, regal tang and a foxface, then 2 clown fish............i forgot about my blenny

Bubba,I was looking at your tank pics.Back in June the tank was beautiful and now it looks horrible,no offense.Thats too nice of a tank to let it spiral downwards like it is.I would do as Biff suggested,use RO water for one.Besides that you really need to increase water changes and feed sparingly.Maybe getting rid a few of the fishes(hawkfishes and the regal).Then get a bunch of clean-up crew.

I still think he needs to use phosguard to reduce algae nutrients as well as lose those bio-balls, or at least wash them often.

-Doc

Yeah. But your tank ends up looking like yours does if you don't use it. You choose -- beautiful looking algae free tank but water that takes longer to make, or a tank that's cloudy and green but at least you can fill it quickly. You asked us what we thought the problem was, many of us think your water source is a problem, and now it's your decision whether you want to take the advice we gave you or not.

Last edited:
If you are doing weekly water changes, using the RO you make all week then the slowness of the RO?DI filter shouldnt matter, just fill 5 gallon jugs if you have to, 2-3 a week, do your water changes with that.. Or your top offs at least.. Mix salt for 24 hours prior to putting in the tank, should clear up in no time..

If you dont want to mess around with a RO/DI filter,Just have your parents pick you up 5 gallons from wal-mart.Thats what I been using.

I'm with everyone here - your source water makes all the difference. If the RO/DI from the unit takes too long, you can get it at the grocery store or wal-mart for 25-30 cents per gallon.

The bottom line, it seems to me is:

1. Stop using well water and use RO/DI that you make or that you buy

2. Increase water changes to once a week for the time being

3. Cut back on feeding, and make sure you and your dad work out a feeding schedule.

4. Think about getting rid of a couple of fish

5. Get a bad-ass clean-up crew

6. Stop using well water

7. Did I mention the water thing? :)

Seriously, everyone is giving you great advice. Roll with it dude. That could be a sweet tank.

group hug!!! now that you have all buried the hatchet, bubba, get your sh!t together and clean up that tank!

-Doc

Yeah. But your tank ends up looking like yours does if you don't use it. You choose -- beautiful looking algae free tank but water that takes longer to make, or a tank that's cloudy and green but at least you can fill it quickly. You asked us what we thought the problem was, many of us think your water source is a problem, and now it's your decision whether you want to take the advice we gave you or not.

AND this comming from the AFT prez wow !
Sorry biff I had to...

For your information, there is not a speck of algae in my tank! Part of being the AFT prez is knowing all the inside secrets and tricks of the trade of getting rid of the algae! You know what they say -- know thine enemy. And they also say, keep your friends close but your enemies closer. Both of those apply here.

Biff, I have to admit, your tank is algae free and looks great. I imagine your sense of satisfaction is great for such an incredible project. I am impressed.

-Doc

Back