H202 dosing

felixfish

newbie reefer
I have read numerous threads about Hydrogen Peroxide dosing, and dipping your algae covered rocks. Since I'm having an algae bloom and believed to discover my problem of it occuring, as well as having a FOWLR tank I started dosing last night. The recomended dosing was 3%N202 1ml per 10 gallons. Since I have a 55 gal with a 29 gal sump I put in 6.5ml into the sump. This morning about 12 hours later my red cyano patches are already disapating. I know there are a few risks, but at this point, trying 3 day black out, and no limited to no feedings with no luck I tried it. I will post some pics up tonight of day 1 and so on. :bounce:

Last edited:
Yes I am impatient as you can see. I think I'll see what the screen grows this week. It has been 3 cleanings of dark crap off the turf screen. With the red cyano spots progresssivly getting larger i wanted to put a stop to it. Thanks for the info!

My issue is i would like better water params before attempting to add some starter corals. The first and only I've attempted was a pulsing xenia and it died off instantly. So I am freaked out getting any more. My nitrates are between 5-10, and phospates read practically clear (0) if not a shade of light blue on my tests. I didn't acclimate it, due to the LFS employee. I'm guessing that was a mistake.

Your nitrates being that high won't affect soft corals like that. Also, I only temp acclimate my corals then put them right in the tank, I've never drip acclimated any of them. Sometimes people just can't keep some corals in their tank, I have a big variety of corals but GSP always wastes away in my tanks.

Nothing good ever happens quickly in a reef tank. Cyano is not an easy fight to win. I would be VERY, VERY careful dosing peroxide - doing it wrong is a great way to kill your fish

Back