Hair Algae Is All Gone!

Hiker4twenty

Reef enthusiast
Well, after about 2 months + of fighting hair algae its finally all gone as of this morning. It was a hard fought battle, but that scummy stuff lost this time. I had to pull a lot of it out, increase my cuc, added an algae blenny, increase the volume of water changes, cut my feedings down by 33% and cut my lighting down by 50%. I'm slowly going to start increasing my lighting back to 8hpd.

It was very frustrating and I felt like giving up on the hobby, but it was well worth the effort and aggrivation. It feels great to have a clean looking tank again.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I took some shots last night, but forgot to bring my camera with me to upload this morning. I'll get an updated FTS up soon.

Here's an updated FTS from last night.

Picture009-2.jpg

FTS on 4/18/10.

Picture020-2.jpg

Wow those duncans are incredible! I really want to replace the ones I lost in my tank crash. I want them to look like yours!

Thanks Sarah! They love my tank I guess. It's because they get to eat good, I think? I started off with 3 heads (2 were abou the size of a nickle and 1 was the size of the eraser on a pencil). Since then they have exploaded and now have 18 heads at last count. If they ever decided to start growing more skeleton so I can frag maybe we can do a frag trade?

Back