hair algae?

Melonbob

Reef enthusiast
I've had some algae in my tank for quite some time, its just a few tufts here and there, but it's not like my first round of hair algae. It short and bristly, maybe 1/2" in height, and has not grown any taller in a good month. I can't even get this stuff off by trying to pick at it or scrub, it's stuck good. Is this still hair algae? You can see it in the background of this pic...

008.jpg

I also still have two small areas that produce red slime. I keep sucking it up, but it keeps coming back, just two little patches

Could be bryopsis(sp?)That stuff sticks like a yellow pine in a clear cut.

Have you tryed SAT yet?If not I would suggest to get a bottle and try doseing it.It did wanders for my tank.Took care of my hair algae and cyano both.Its well worth the price.Plus its not a chemical.Its live bacteria that competes with the slgae for nutrients.

Turf algae,it doesn't look like the bryopsis hair algae I had before.None the less,its a nuisance algae.Fish and snails would never touch the stuff.Pull the rock out and scrub the area with a stiff toothbrush or any still bristle brush.

I was reading on reefcentral about bryopis and raising your mag levels to around 1500-1600 and it cleared everything up. There are alot of different kinds of the crap. I have been fighting it in my tank for awhile now but I think I will let the do it for alittle while longer first.

Back