Hairy mushroom who done it

steelcity

Reefing newb
It looks like someone has been devouring the mouth on the largest hairy mushroom. It's clear down to the rock that it's attached to. I noticed that yesterday it was closed up some. Lately its been as big as a softball. It has really grown with some feedings.

I took a closer look today and saw that the mouth is gone or all spread out. I haven't seen anything on it during the day on it. The coral beauty doesn't look at it. Might have to go on neighborhood night watch.

My other thought is that it's splitting but I've never seen this done before so I wouldn't know what it would look like. Mainly just looks like something has been gnawing on it. So it would come down to blue legs, red legs, 1 emerald, 1 pepp, 1 cleaner, or one of the assorted snails.

Thoughts?

mush2.jpg

mush1.jpg

How about that clown?? Has it been hanging around the shroom? My clown hosts my hairy shroom, but has nipped at it in the past, to the point it's mouth had to reshape and heal itself.

Thats what I was thinking to Sniffles.
Even if the clowns not nipping at it,it could getting a little rough trying to host the shroom.

The clown only plays in the duncans. None of the fish touch that shroom. I've been trying to push the clown away from the duncans with the feeder stick but he goes back to them

no changes, no additions.

I checked a few times last night and early this morning and didn't see anything. I have a bunch of large amphipods in/under that rock. I recently heard of a guy losing some zoos due to extremely large pods who went rouge. Don't know if that's a possiblity for me. I've seen them on that rock before so who knows. I'll be back on the lookout tonight.

well I think I got rid off the problem. Right before feeding I was looking around and I saw him. It was Mr Emerald Crab in the Duncan hall with the crab claw. I captured him and he was given a one way ticket down the big white slide. He wasn't on the mushroom but Ill assume it was him and didn't care to found out for sure. I had enough evidence.

Looks like it's splitting to me. Mine did that a few weeks ago and looked similar. Looks like those feedings are working!

C

it split just fine into 3 pieces. They just pull themselves apart little by little over a few days. You'll see the mouths "center" themselves too.

Back