Hairy mushroom...

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I've got a huge hairy mushroom, JoJo, that looks like she's in trouble. For the past two days she's got her mouth gaping open. The other one's mouth is swollen much larger than usual but not open. Is this ok? She's not opening fully and is a little off color. My water tests fine. Anything I can do for her, she's my favorite!

thanks,.
Catherine

Green hairy mushroom? Feed it. Frozen cubed food - mysis, krill, crab, shrimp - little bitty chopped up pieces that could easily fit through it's mouth opening. Use a turkey baster or something like that to gently drop food on it's mantle (probably not the correct terminology) and around it's mouth.

I feed mine Marine Cuisine. Everything in my tanks gets Marine Cuisine. I don't think it's the best food in the world, but it keeps them all alive and growing, it's cheap, it's simple and Petco is 3 blocks away. :mrgreen:

Last edited:
RC - will the shroom fold in? I've tried feeding my purple, blue tipped hairy mushroom krill before but it didn't swallow in or fold up.

These hairy mushrooms are the only ones I have that will actually eat. Yes, when they eat, the curl up around the outside edge and engulf the food until they are completely inside out and look like brown leather. They eat for 1/2 hour or so, then they open up. Couple hours later or maybe the next day they will :pooh: back out through the mouth opening.

Thanks Rc, I fed him a mysis shrimp and she curled up a bit but she didn't close her mouth. Oh, and btw, ewwww, he poops out his mouth? Yuck.

If it's eating, but looks sick or still looks hungry, feed it at every 3 or 4 days until you see signs of improvement. Then you can either cut back on food to keep a close eye on growth or you can feed it like crazy and it'll reproduce.

Thanks, RC. I fed it some mysis yesterday and again today. Actually, today was an accident when I was target feeding my ponies one fell into it's gaping mouth. It got to full size for a little while earlier then started looking wimpy again. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow if I'm feeling up to it. Thanks for your help, I really love this 'shroom!

C

Looks like JoJo is going to become Jo. I'm so sad. This morning when I turned on the lights, she looked like this: Sorry it's out of focus, she sits right in the bow of my aquarium which makes her blurry in her photos:

3993177750_391f4be16b.jpg

JoJo's got two "mouths" and this is only one of them. Should I pull it out before it dies so it won't mess with my tank? I don't know what's up with my tank it's just crazy in there.

I'm so sad, I love JoJo.

Catherine

That looks like a ricordea to me. And it looks like it's splitting. :bounce:

Give it a couple weeks. If it is indeed splitting, it'll take a few weeks to completely part into 2 separate pieces. Keep feeding if it'll take food. Food all the mouths you can see.

That looks like a ricordea to me. And it looks like it's splitting. :bounce:

Give it a couple weeks. If it is indeed splitting, it'll take a few weeks to completely part into 2 separate pieces. Keep feeding if it'll take food. Food all the mouths you can see.

Thanks, RC. I think it did split. The reason she looks like a ricordea is that I just turned on the light when the shot was taken. I got some nice shots of her that I'll post later tonight in the Photography forum. She did split! I have never seen such a thing! Her name now: Jo Mo Jo. We're hoping for one more so it'll be Jo Jo Mo Jo!

C

Back