Hairy Mushrooms are out of control!

BL1

Over the past few months the hairy mushrooms have exploded out of control and are taking over my nano. My nem is starting to look a little stressed (it's been fine for over a year so I'm thinking it's the shrooms). Attached are pics of the tank before and after.

Is there an easy way to remove them? At this point they've taken over two rocks and I really don't want to have to pull the whole rocks out of the tank to get rid of them.

11DecFTS.jpg

And now :grumble:
FTS14June.jpg

I have those exact same shrooms in my tank as well. Same thing happened. I tried cutting them off the rocks, but they would create so much slime, it had to be bad for the rest of the tank inhabitants. I ended up getting rid of the whole rock they were on. :( Sorry I don't have any better suggestions -- but I had no luck getting rid of them another way.

That does suck, the two rocks they're stuck two are pretty big and both go under the substrate to the bottom glass of the tank.

Ahh that is absolutely crazy! Awesome to see the difference though. I would try cutting them but biff tried that :(

good luck

My LFS has a bunch of those in their DT but they've had them in there for years and it looks like they don't ever grow as much as yours did. I wonder what they do to keep it under control. I just might have to ask now.

Wish I had that problem too lol. If I were you I would talk to my local fish store and see what they have to say. Also, ask them if they would take them in as a trade and get something else. I think i would just try pulling if off and see what happens. I've never had this problem but hey worth a shot if you are unhappy with them.

I talked to the LFS last week and they said they'd give me $50 for the rock of them. The only problem with that is the rock they're attached to is at least 15 pounds worth of LR, plus about 15-20 mushrooms so IMO I'm definitely losing big time on that deal. On top of the fact that I now have to rip my whole tank apart to get that one rock out. :grumble:

I did some googling, I have a few different species of mushrooms and became curious. What I found was injecting them with lemon juice, kalk, or vinegar. Another way which isn't a way you will like is since it involves taking the rock out is soaking the rock is a mix of kalk and saltwater and scrubbing them off. Also read that hermits eat them? Good Luck!

Well, I've all but decided that this tank will be getting broken down. I'm considering selling all the LR to my LFS and turning it into a 3-4 tier frag grow-out tank.

Well there's only 4 rocks in there totaling 35-40 pounds and the shrooms have now spread onto three of them. In order to get those three rocks out I'm going to have to pull everything out of the tank anyway. On top of that, the tank has been getting neglected for the 75 lately. So I figure it'll just be easier to run a frag tank then a full on reef.

What about cutting off the shrooms and kalk pasting the stumps? I have also pulled off ric. yumas before with success..its a pain to do but it works eventually. Blast them with a powerhead all day then gentley work at them.

Back