Hairy Trouble...

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
So as I was walking by my tank yesterday I saw something crawl REALLY fast towards my rock... it caught my attention so i looked to see what it was. All that was left of it was the left side of its body, and all i could really see was some legs and they were really hairy...

Its definitely a crab and its about the size of a nickle from what I can tell but I couldnt see its claws to see if they were pointy or not. At first I thought it might be a gorilla crab but those are usually black and this one wasnt... it was dark in color, but not black.

Any ideas what it could be?

Also, are there any crabs that are hairy and NOT predators/a threat??

One thing I've learned about the aminals in this hobby,is they can be any color you can think of.
Just because its not black dont mean its not a gorilla crab.I watched one of the guys at the LFS fish a white one of a tank.

So say it is a gorilla crab... how big of a threat is it?

And my other question still stands, are there any hairy crabs that are good? I havent noticed any corals look like they have been munched on, and all my fish are still alive, and i have some slow/fragile fish like my mandarin.

Did it look like this? I know you didn't see it really well.
Also, here's a website not a lot of info but, some ... • View topic - Critter of the Week! Gorilla Crab (standing in for Lynn)
db_37_gorillacrab-patsan.jpg

I'm sure there are some hairy crabs that are safe-ish.No crab is 100% reef safe.
If you can get a look at its claws,they que you in to the crabs natural diet.Claws that are cup shaped on the tips generally means they perfer algae.Sharp and pointed tips are made for cutting up prey.

Yeah thats definitely it, i just saw it again now... so now as far as removal... any ideas? He runs away as soon as i get close to the tank. I know rubble pile he is in, im assuming thats where hes made his home.

Also, should i keep him in the sump? or just take him back to the LFS?

Did it have black tips on the claws?
To get him out you can either bait him with some meaty food, or take the whole rock out and do a FW dip.
That decision is totally up to you whether you keep him or not. When I finish building my sump, I'll probably keep some critters I find down in it.

Take a clean glass and submerge it next to where you think the crab is.Tilt the glass on its side,at a pretty steep angle and place some food in the bottom.
When the crabs climbs in to feed,he wont be able to climb back out.

Back