halloween urchin

Brian_G

overly obsessed
so i got a halloween urchin last night and acclimated it for about 2 hours and in the tank he went.

through the night he moved about a foot and today he isnt moving much more. hes losing some spines too...:(

what shal i do?

Mine will randomly lose some spines ... Hopefully it'll look better. halloweens are my favorite urchins. I really hope he comes through for you

Nope, mine died. Three in a row. The only one out of the four that survived was the short spine. I'm not buying urchins from my LFS anymore. I sense a pattern, and I don't think it's due to anything on my end.

awe :( hopefully mine is okay. they had just gotten it in. hopefully they dont work from the same distributer

awe :( hopefully mine is okay. they had just gotten it in. hopefully they dont work from the same distributer

If they just got it in it's likely he's in shock from transferring to the LFS, then transferring to your tank. Whether or not he'll recover depends on the animal really. Mine sat still and lost some spines when I first put him in, but after about a day he started moving. I moved him off the glass onto a rock with a bunch of algae on it to try to encourage him to eat. I doubt it actually helped him but it made me feel better.

It will fall off the glass if it's dying, for sure. I got all of my urchins the same day that my LFS got them in. They don't get them very often, so when they do have them, they sell out within a day.

okay good. hes on the back glass as of right now and their is some algae on the back so maybe when i wake up in the morning he will be moving

okay good. hes on the back glass as of right now and their is some algae on the back so maybe when i wake up in the morning he will be moving

That tells me that you have a healthy Urchin:Cheers: Just dont expect him to move very fast.
They are one of the slowest critters there is.

On a side note.
Dont ever bring livestock home from the LFS the day they get their shipment Unless its still in the shipping bags..Pay for it and have em hold it for a week.

On a side note.
Dont ever bring livestock home from the LFS the day they get their shipment Unless its still in the shipping bags..Pay for it and have em hold it for a week.

Solid advice as usual from Yote.:D

yote;351854 On a side note. Dont ever bring livestock home from the LFS the day they get their shipment Unless its still in the shipping bags..Pay for it and have em hold it for a week.[/QUOTE said:
I tried to get them to hold it for me once and they didnt like the idea. And they have a hard time keeping things alive in their tanks. :( its one of those "we wanna make as much money as possible with no tank maintenance" fish stores. So if I get something I would like it to be on the first day before it has had much time in their tanks.

So if I get something I would like it to be on the first day before it has had much time in their tanks.

Sounds like a really shitty LFS. I either wouldn't go there anymore or meet them at the store when their shipment comes in and buy your fish straight from the shipping bag. Before they have time to go into the LFS tanks.

Sounds like a really shitty LFS. I either wouldn't go there anymore or meet them at the store when their shipment comes in and buy your fish straight from the shipping bag. Before they have time to go into the LFS tanks.

yeah they pretty much suck

my favorite fish store moved and hasnt reopened. but when it does I will drive the extra hour to get to a store I know can take care of their stuff

Back