hammer branching coral or frogsp. question?

hawkboys10

Reefing newb
I have a couple of either one of these. There is one branch with two heads attached to it. It looks like the two heads are almost dettached from each other. Can I split these into sperate pieces? Could someone also tell me the fine art of fraging?

Thanks for the help

If the heads aren't fully separated then no you can't frag it yet.When you do frag use a bone cutter several inches down from any flesh.Usually at the V where two branches separate.

A pic of the branches will help us more.

OK I have put two pictures on this forum. I believe one has seperated and the other still has not. Thanks guys for the help. The pictures are under hawkboys10. Can not figure out just yet how to get them in this text.

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/reef-photography/10544-how-post-pictures-living-reefs.html

here is a link on how to post on this site.
You can follow these tips or

Upload your pic to photobucket, Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
once that pic is uploaded you can click on the IMG code ( one click copy's it)

Come here right click/ paste that code to the text area and presto! magic.
( you will see the CODE untill you submit the post.

I will do up a photobucket tutorial for the site later!

Until then here is your pics

coral2.jpg

coralone.jpg

I would wait to frag this it looks to be a very young ( frag ) of a hammer Nice but not ready to cut on yet,

Last edited:
I agree. leave it alone for a while, like two months or so. Why do you need to frag it in the first place? it looks good

-Doc

I agree with the rest of my collegues,its not ready to be frag.The fleshy part is very close to the split.There is living tissue inside the base several inches below where you see the flesh.There needs to be a lot more separation between the branches.

OK Thanks. What happens as it continues to age. Does the flesh continue to grow upwards and then eventually runs out of room? New to all this coral stuff, so please help me out. Thanks again

As it grows,it expands.The longer you let it grow,the fuller it will get.It'll grow more heads which will split into even more heads.

Well this is what is confusing me. I can see these spliting, but there are also two branches so the heads can split apart. When I cut these apart, there will only be one branch for the heads to grow two. Do they still grow apart and what happens or what do I do when there are no more room for them to grow or attach to. I am probably sure that as time passes on I will see all my answers in front of my eyes. Thanks

One more question, I ordered this stuff called marine snow. How often should I feed this stuff and is there anything else out there recommended for feeding filter feeders, corals, etc?

Basically, there is stuff inside the skeleton. You need to wait until there is a lot more room between those two heads; probably AT LEAST until the two present heads have split into more heads. Wait until you are absolutely sure and comfortable with fragging it. Plus, it looks good now. Don't mess with success!

As for Marine Snow, I tried it and it didn't make any difference at all. Probably just pushed up my nitrates. I feed my LPS mysis every once in a while, when I feel like watching the show, but that's only once a month or so. My understanding is that the best food for coral is the kind that comes out of fish, in the good, old-fashioned natural sort of way.

Tiz is right.Natrual is always beeter when it comes to feeding corals.However I do like to give mine a dose of DTs Phytoplankton once a week.

just leave your frogspawn alone. let nature run its course. it will grow just fine. make sure you place it in a spot where it has room to grow

-Doc

Back