Hammer coral - help needed

Kristyreef

Reefing newb
Hi, I have just set up a new marine aquarium (first salt water setup). I bought some cured liverock from a lady that was dismantling her tank.

She gave me a couple of dead pieces of coral she said she has had them in her sump and they might help with the biology of the tank.

I placed it in my tank with a bunch of liverock. I got it a few days ago.

Today I noticed there looks like some (New?) growth from the centre of the dead skeleton.

What do i do? My tank isn't finished cycling. Do I need to feed this coral?

Posted is some pics. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
image.jpg
image.jpg

as far as the hammer coral goes you can leave it in and hope it lives or take it back to your friend to keep till your tank cycle is done. but i think i see another problem that you need to deal with fast before you have an outbreak. it looks like you have an Aiptasia Anemone i have never had to deal with them but other people on have and they can advise you on how to deal with it

as far as the hammer coral goes you can leave it in and hope it lives or take it back to your friend to keep till your tank cycle is done. but i think i see another problem that you need to deal with fast before you have an outbreak. it looks like you have an Aiptasia Anemone i have never had to deal with them but other people on have and they can advise you on how to deal with it

Thanks for your reply. As for the aiptasia anemone - I have been researching this. I have been told I can inject the mouth with some lemon juice and that is meant to work. I have that one large one and a few tiny ones on another piece of live rock.

I can put the live rock with the small ones in my sump?

Thanks for your reply. As for the aiptasia anemone - I have been researching this. I have been told I can inject the mouth with some lemon juice and that is meant to work. I have that one large one and a few tiny ones on another piece of live rock.

I can put the live rock with the small ones in my sump?
You can put it in your sump but then they would just take over your sump and end up back in your tank with a bigger problem. There is no rush to remove them wait till your cycle is over. The cycle may kill them anyway. You can use lemon juice or buy "joes juice" you can also inject them with calcium. It's the drastic PH change within and around them that kills them.

The hammer may survive buts is small and a long shot, I would ask a friend or a LFS if they could hold it for you until your cycle is complete.

You can put it in your sump but then they would just take over your sump and end up back in your tank with a bigger problem. There is no rush to remove them wait till your cycle is over. The cycle may kill them anyway. You can use lemon juice or buy "joes juice" you can also inject them with calcium. It's the drastic PH change within and around them that kills them.

The hammer may survive buts is small and a long shot, I would ask a friend or a LFS if they could hold it for you until your cycle is complete.
Awesome! That is a great help. I will keep a close eye on them over the coming weeks and make sure it didn't get worse.

I will ask a friend if he is up to keeping my little coral so it has a chance.

Thanks so much! It's great that their are people on this forum that are happy to help! I Appreciate it! :-)

Ok Cool! I wanted some
Peppermint shrimp so that will be a bonus if they clear some of them up for me. :-) if not I'll try the other mentioned alternatives.

I'll keep a close eye on them
In the meantime.

Back