hammer coral placement

margaritaville

Reefing newb
curently have two hammer corals up high on my liverock. Just heard that the placement should be on the bottom. Any experience with placement would be helpful. Thanks Eric

Hammers should not be on the top of your tank unless your tank is fairly low on lighting. They are not a light loving coral like SPS. It really only requires med lighting and does not benefit from higher levels of light but will benefit from occasional feedings.

Wait a minute. What kind of lighting do you have. Hammers do require good lighting and great water quality. Are you having issues with them? If so what issues are they? Give us a little more info before moving them. Something else to consider is flow. I have noticed that they do not like direct flow at all.

margaritaville said:
curently have two hammer corals up high on my liverock. Just heard that the placement should be on the bottom. Any experience with placement would be helpful. Thanks Eric

my hammer is at the bottom.had it for about 3 months an it split now i have two:D :D :D :D :^: :mrgreen: :bounce: :bounce: :^: :mrgreen:

They do need good water quality, and medium flow. If they are in direct flow, they will stay shriveled up. I keep mine in the middle of the tank, between two rocks. I have it under about 260watts of PC lighting and it is going great. My emperor leaves it alone (and he dran well better:mrgreen: or course he is not eating anything at the moment :frustrat: ). Best of luck to you.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

Mine are doing fine, just wondering, I had my first one up higher in the tank, and when I bought another the person I bought it from had his on the bottom. I now have about 500 watts on my 75 and one is on the bottom and one is just off the bottom on a peice of live rock. Thanks

IMG_1982.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1978.jpg

IMG_1979.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

what where i have mine

I start from the bottom and work my way up..I leave them in the same spot for a few days and then move , until me and the coral are both happy.My hammer seems to like the lower levels, Becase of my high flow up top. My torch expandes way to much to have him at the bottom..I think I became addicted to the whole torch ,hammer , frogspwan coralz hehe..Youve got to love that movement.

Mine's doing well on the bottom...had him for five or six months and he's splitting :bounce:

I've learned that they HATE heavy current, though. Medium-ish seems to be about right, but nothing direct.

i ve had mine for 4 years and it is at the top with 175 watt metal halide and 65 watt atinics it is always growing new heads..and is huge.

Back