Hammer Coral

outlazz

Reefing newb
So i got this hammer a few weeks ago with hopes of my clown hosting. It has gotten much larger since getting it and looks like its doing good. Only problem is that now my Banggia Cardinal thinks its his and he just hovers over it and chases away the clown or the Chromis anytime they get near it. Anyone ever seen such a thing? I thought it was pretty funny but guess there is no chance of my clown hosting now

i tried moving it in the tank but it never seemed to open as much as it does in that spot. seems like a low flow area of the tank which im guessing is the same reason why the card stays in that area.

You shouldn't want the clown to host a hammer coral. That's a sure fire way of killing your coral. Euphyllia corals like that are not made to withstand the roughness of clowns living in them. I have had at least a dozen different corals in my tank killed by my pair of clowns trying to live in them.

You should thank your cardinal. It is saving your hammer's life by keeping the clown away from it.

The only non-anemone corals that seem to be tough enough to withstand clowns hosting in them are toadstool leathers, xenia and hairy mushrooms. LPS corals like your hammer just can't take it, nor are they meant to.

thanks biff thats very good to know since i was lead to believe the complete opposite but this is how you learn i guess.

+1 Biff, out of all the corals I have in my tank, my clowns would rather host my feather duster...really interesting...the duster actually stays open with the clowns inside...guess I got lucky, knowing they will not kill any corals.

I have a pair of clowns that host my frog spawn, but it did take awhile for my frogspawn to not get irritated from them. I have a pair that host an umbrella leather and another pair that hosts my mushrooms. I even have one that host hair algae LOL :) oh yea one hosts my duncans to.

My tomato clown loves my hammer coral. He protects it with vigor.

100_1013.JPG

I think it depends on the size of the coral too. I have seen clowns hosting all kinds of corals. I believe the problem is when the clown fish dominates a small sized coral so much that it effects it's everyday functions. If you have a large coral like pictured in Melosu58's picture above the coral is the dominator.

Nice pic by the way Melosu58.

Back