Hand Guns

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by hotimportknight, Mar 3, 2008.

1. hotimportknight

hotimportknight New! Big Tank Club!

So, I've been reading a Guns & Ammo magazine that has been around my house and realized im 21 now and I can legally own an handgun! Just wondering about any one else's thoughts/opinions (not left wing opinions, but opinions on guns/caliber/etc). Does anyone live in a state with a conceal and carry law? I live in WI and we are far too gay to do that. But after I graduate I'm moving to either Minneapolis or chicago to work until I get enough money saved for Miami, and Hopefully by then, if not already one of those states will have a concealed weapon permit system going... My first choice was a Walther PPS, come to find out they are really expensive after reading reviews and all. Then I found a Glock 22 or 23, I dont remmeber what one exactly, but its a .40 S&W short barrel, short grip. Kinda like the little gun.
    Otherwise do any of you guys own hand guns? Im pretty sure at least a few of you do... Yote? Let me know what you guys think!

hotimportknight, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. hotimportknight

A little more background before any crazy gun activists freak out and think I'm an irresponsible teenage idiot thats going to kill someone with a handgun when I'm drunk somewhere. I was raised with my dad being a strict military man, he taught me everything about respecting guns and how to handle them. I want one mainly just to have it, go to the shooting range a few times and get used to handling it. Keep it in my drawer or under my car seat unloaded in a case just to know its there. And also because its my right to own one, and i want to make sure I do before the upcoming election.
    Right now my LGS (local gun store, creative huh?) has a glock 22 or 23 used in really great shape for 350$ that I was thinking about. It looking something like this one here on the bottom, just in size comparison to other Glocks:
    [​IMG]

1. Advertisements

3. hotimportknight

dustin_P74

dont you think that magazine capacity on the 22 is kinda small

dustin_P74, Mar 3, 2008
  4. hotimportknight

It's 8 .40 cal shells, thats plenty for me. And with glocks all magazines are interchangeable. And the extended clip has a longer built on it too.

5. hotimportknight

dustin_P74

i had gotten it confused with another gun. i was distracted by family guy

dustin_P74, Mar 3, 2008
  6. hotimportknight

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

No doubt Glocks are a good gun.So are the Walthers.I personally like the feel of a Colt.
    A lot of states have concealled carry now.Tennessee,Georgia.Its the laws that say where you can and can not carry that will get you,even with the permit.
    If your even thinking about getting the permit.Go ahead and take some classes on using handguns for selfdefense and practice.IMO,theres nothing worse than someone carrying a gun for protection,that cant hit the broad side of a barn with it.Plus those training courses are a blast.
    As for keeping the pistol un-loaded and in a case.What are you going to do if your life or say your girlfriends life are in danger?Throw the gun and case at em?
    As for caliber.I like a .45 or a .44. But 99.9% of the places I go,there wouldnt be any bystanders around to get in the line of fire if something was to happen.Where your at and the places you go,I'd go with a 40 or a 38+P.Adefense weapon shouldnt be anything high powered,especailly in a city enviroment where you DO NOT wont double penetration.
    Just take some training classes,burn a lot of powder,learn your gun(know it more intimately than you do your girlfriend),know the laws where you are inside and out.
    Heres what I carry in my truck Ruger Redhawk®Double Action Revolvers

yote, Mar 3, 2008
  7. hotimportknight

Its not how many shots you have,its how well you place the shots that counts.

yote, Mar 3, 2008
  8. hotimportknight

I'm not sure of the laws around this gay state, or where to find them out from a reliable source... I would love to carry it loaded in a holster of some kind made for hiding under my drivers seat. But once a guy I knew got pulled over and had someone who had a warrant for unpaid tickets so they searched the car, found brass knuckles sitting in the door cargo area thing and arrested him for having a "concealed weapon". So i'm kind of hesitant on that until I move somewhere with a conceal and carry permit available.

9. hotimportknight

dustin_P74

well thats because from what i know brass knucks are illegal. and just google gun laws in WI

dustin_P74, Mar 3, 2008
  10. hotimportknight

RyanG ^*Eternal Dumbass*^

The .40 is a great caliber for a personal self defense weapon, I personally dont like Glocks but a lot of people swear by them. I love Kimber's but I would recommend going with a polymer military/police model. Heres a link to the top ten polymer values

Best Buy Handguns | Guns Magazine | Find Articles at BNET.com

The sig sauers are a very nice firearm as well. I just think Glocks have a sloppy feel. I like the M and Ps because most models have interchangable strips on the grip to custom fit the weapon to your hand and they have universal safeties so that if by chance your primary firing hand is disabled you are still able to operate the weapon with your off-hand. Yote is definately correct in taking the proper courses and also I would recommend joining your local rod and gun club. If you want one hundred percent reliabilaty nothing beats a revolver. .357/.38sp is another great caliber. 9mms are worthless in my eyes and .45 have tons of stopping power and tons of recoil as well. Invest in laser grips and a lighting system for home defense also.

RyanG, Mar 3, 2008
  11. hotimportknight

In New York the county sheriff is in charge of concieled weapons permits contact your local NRA groups or go to the NRA website and they will have your states gun laws posted as well, or at least an overview, while your there you should join up too.

RyanG, Mar 3, 2008
  12. hotimportknight

dustin_P74

my brother went to the range with his friends sig and picked up and put 6 shots right in the middle of the target and had never fired a gum before and said he has never felt more comfortable with anything else like he was with that gun

dustin_P74, Mar 3, 2008
  13. hotimportknight

9 times out of 10,if the guns fits you good,shooting it is as natural and scratching an itch.Sigs are great feeling guns.Just out of my price range and I have yet to pick up a glock that I liked the feel of.I do plan on buying a Colt 1911A1 one our next shut down at work though.

yote, Mar 3, 2008
  14. hotimportknight

Yote check out the kimber 1911s if your anything like me youll be way more impressed.

RyanG, Mar 3, 2008
  15. hotimportknight

I'd sure like to pick up a Kimber but none of the stores around here carry them.They'll special order em,but they dont carry them all the time.

yote, Mar 3, 2008
  16. hotimportknight

I didn't like the feel of the glocks at the gun show I went to last weekend, but they had this shorter smaller version that seems to fit my hand very well. Im a really small guy (135 lbs on a heavy day) so a smaller gun was kinda what I planned on. I wanted a 9mm but they are proving harder to find around here, but I think a .40 would be perfectly fine. I'm not sure if they even have that glock any more, if not its back to picking up every one and seeing what they feel like...

17. hotimportknight

Stay away from the 9mm.Go with something like a 40,38sp,357.
    9s are just to small for protection.They have little to none stopping power.

yote, Mar 3, 2008
  18. hotimportknight

Yote another super weapon that I have personal experience with is
    Kahr Arms PM9
    Even though 9mm are for women and pansies this is a superb firearm and they sell cheap, only downfall is you have to fire 200 rounds for a breaking in period before is is "fully acurized". This is an awesome firearm though.

This is a link to the FNP m/p model great prices as well

FN FNP 40 SW & 45 ACP at Impact Guns Home

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
    RyanG, Mar 3, 2008
  19. hotimportknight

2 and 3/4 inch groups aint bad.
    I've not seen any of those.Guess I'll have to look at one for the wife.

yote, Mar 3, 2008
  20. hotimportknight

Where are those Kahrs built ?

yote, Mar 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question