Handling things that go in the tank

jb61264

Reefing newb
Was wondering if anyone takes precautions with handling any items either when they are first putting into the tank or taking out for some reason (quarantine, etc.)?

Was wondering if I should be wearing latex gloves or something when handling stuff that goes into my tank?

Its always a good idea to take precautions when handling stuff.
Some corals can make you so sick that you think your gonna die.Zoanthids are one of those corals and all it takes is scratching your nose after you've handled them.
Some fish have a dang powerful sting,like rabbitfish,and lion fish(which I learned first hand).

I just make sure I was my hands after handling my corals. I try not to put my hands in the tank at all, but it seems like three times a week I do. only had one bad experience with a rabbitfish....ouch. Biff likes to use long latex gloves for many things, including her tank. Up to you

-Doc

Biff likes to use long latex gloves for many things, including her tank.

For "many things"??? Hahahaha.

These are what I have:
Coralife Aqua Gloves (One Pair Shoulder Length Protective Gloves) (Saltwater Aquarium Supplies > Maintenance > Protective Gloves )

They go all the way up to your armpits and are AWESOME. Sometimes I'm lazy and handle my corals and stuff with my bare hands, though. But whenever I do maintenance (like, once every year or so ;)) I use the gloves.

I bought some laytex gloves that almost go up to my elbow to handle the live rock with (washing and adding to the tank)...they are just a hair too short and I seeped water a couple times...oh well, I like having a "shorter" tank like the breeder styles for the ease of maintenance :) my eventual "big tank of my dreams" will be a 120 because of the similar footprint for sure.

I wear latex gloves for handling corals. it's not only protection for you, but for them also. not to mention the smell! have you ever handled a toadstool leather? whew! you just can't wash that smell off!

Definitely do not wash your hands with soap before putting your hands in tank. Neither are hand lotions, perfumes, detergents and such great on a tank system or inhabitants. People have killed aquarium inhabitants with heavy use of disinfectants around tanks. There is always the old remedy for marine stings and jabs. Of course most people do not like to urinate on themselves to stop the stinging and swelling. Done on the beaches a lot though. I joke not.

:^: People say my mouth makes me my own worse enemy, but I like to fool those people and spread the fault about my body. I here I pooh on myself too. :bounce:

:shock: Wow, in a few more years I will be geriatric and none of this will be a laughing matter,but a very possible reality.

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock: :shock:

sigh!!!

BTW I am using the same style gloves as biff, and keep filling the dam things up!!! Even then I can't reach the very bottom of my tank! need scuba gear!

Looks like the consensus is to use gloves as often as possible, which makes sense, but obviously there will be times when... :)

I'm going to look into getting a pair of rubber gloves that go up to my elbows (don't need too much with a breeder style aquarium)

i never wear gloves.... probably should. oh well. fishbait i never had my hands smell too bad after handling my toadstool. maybe you got a toadstool that "gets around"

true story in our club at reef central a member was fragging palys or zoos can't remember but during cutting them and gluing to rocks one busted and squirted him in eyes on the one day he didn't use face shield and ended up in intensive care for a week, look up palytoxin its the strongest toxin in ocean and you probally have it in your tank if you have zoos or palys.

Back