Hang on back conversion to fuge?

pokerfish

daily puffer
little_fish

2 Hours Ago And i wouldnt do the filter either, the media needs to be changed more than once a week anyways.

I walk in the foot steps of elephants and dance in the shade with the leopards . . .

Current Aquarium(s) Description: 46 gal tank
Experience in Saltwater & Reef Aquarium Hobby: since August '10

little_fishView Public ProfileSend a private message to little_fish

Explicit
Reef Addict

1 Hour Ago Thanks little fish. I may use the hob filter has a little fuge and put some rubble and chaeto in it

Current Aquarium(s) Description: 175 Frontosa show tank
Experience in Saltwater & Reef Aquarium Hobby: Less then a year

little_fish
The wimpy shrimpy
moderator.png

1 Hour Ago now that is a good idea! and i what i love especially about turning HOB filters into fuges is that pods are naturally pushed out by the water and dont run the risk of getting chewed up in the return pump

I DIDNT WANT TO HIJACK THIS THREAD...

But am I wasting my time with a hob (aquaclear 500) on my 55 gallon....i have a hob protien skimmer...no sump.....should I make this conversion? If so why? and how?

a hang off the back skimmer is a great idea and is totally different from a filter. If you have the skimmer you are not wasting your time. If you are using a HOB filter you might if you arent cleaning it every 3 days.

Here is the problem with filters, they just trap all the crap that floats by in the filter floss but keep flowing water past it, so when it rots, the little particles just float back out into the main tank. A skimmer completely remove the particles from the water into the cup, where they can rot to their merry content and you can just rise out the crud in the cup.

If you are currently using a HOB back filter i think you would better off just filling it with rubble and putting a light over it for cheato. Or you can get rid of it completely.

Thanks so much...should I do rubble on bottom and cheato on top...clip on a light and good to go?No maintenence? Is there a preferred light for cheato?
btw ai am truly grateful for the time you are taking to help me out...it must get frustrating hearing same questions...

not really, plus i consider it practice for being a vet when i will get a million questions a day about "my dogs ears are ichy" :)

And just a CFL squiggly bulb will grow cheato just fine. I would just find a cheap desk lap to clip to the side.

If you put rubble in the bottom depends on how deep the filter is, you might find it take up too much room and there isnt enough room for the cheato.

Its pretty big...the fillter is 7" deep its 13" wide maybe 4" back to front...should i pack it in or leave alot of room?
Ive known a lot of vets (had a lot of dogs with a LOT of issues) and the ones who genuinly care about people and animals are the ones for me...you are on the right path...:bowdown:

haha, im not actually a vet yet, still just dreaming. And this isnt medical advice either, so if your fish get ich, then we will talk medical stuff. :)

hopefully not...but good to know someone is there...cool....if u need advice on mail delivery or internet poker...im your guy...peace:x:

Back