Happy Fathers Day

andersoned14

Reefing newb
My live rock in the 29 gal tank was being taken over by pest. So I boiled it in RO water, then cooled it with RO ice cubes, brushed it real good and set in sun to dry out. Is this a good idea or Will I kill LR??? The pest are the white sponges, the anmemes nobody wants and bubble algea. Thanks and Happy Fathers Day.:beerchug:

That's going to kill everything on the live rock, not just the bad stuff. Pick off the bubble algae and sponges by hand. Then use some Aiptasia X to kill the anemones.

Im not sure but boiling LR prob will hurt the Live part of it.. when i had that problem i took the LR our and placed it in a tub of RO water and just scrubbed it. I then rinsed it in clean RO water and placed it back in the DT.. I would never recomend Boiling anything LIVE from an tank.

+1 all the above.
You pretty much killed all that expensive live rock. You'll have to completely recycle your tank.

i boiled my one peice of live rock for 20 mins a few weeks ago but i had a mantis shrimp killing everything, needless to say it was worth killing everything on that one 8 pound peice of rock :),

Back