Happy little crabs

All the veteran reefers probably will think this is no big deal, but I have to share because I am really amused by it.
I have 4 hermits total. 2 red and 2 blue. When I got Ginger yesterday I got the one red just because I thought it had a cool looking shell. Obviously he didn't think it was very cool because he had moved by morning into one of the empty shells I got. Got home today and see an empty shell from one of the blues and another one of the empty shells I bought is missing. A blue leg is now in a shell that a red leg was in. I'm assuming since the blue is in the red shell then the red must be in the new shell, but I haven't seen it yet. Everyone is moving! I wish I would catch them doing it because I think it would be neat to watch.

Yah if you have hermits , always fun to put a few extra shells in the tank and watch them go crazy.
Going to a art/craft supply store they should sell extra shells (make sure they are real however)
I purchased a small bag of like 50 for maybe 2 bucks once , dropped entire bag into tank , spent the next hour watching the hermit crabs testing each and every shell , then fiighting over the "best" shells.
Even to this day , they still are switching shells almost daily.

Back