Hardy Inverts / Cleanup Crew

leon1972

Reefing newb
Hello. I am new to Marine Aquariums (My tank is actually still cycling) and am looking for a few hardy inverts to add to the pair of clown fish I plan on getting as well for a starter tank. I have read there are a few inverts that are quite easy to take care of. I am looking for something as exotic as I can to add to the tank. It needs to be hardy though, obviously, since im a totall newbie at this.
Also, what would be a good setup for a cleanup crew in my tank?

After your tank is done cycling try a cleaner shrimp. Colorful, active and hardy. I have had one for quite a while now and it's the one living thing in my tank I've never had an issue keeping happy. :)
Also, for clean up crews most of us go to reefcleaners.org and you can get a package for your 75 there. I have a 60 and bought the package for a 30 gallon tank tho, and man, did it come with a ton of snails. Sometimes I worry that if you put the recommended amount of snails they will starve. Just starting out for your tank I'd grab one turbo snail, 10-15 nass snails, 5 astera (sp) snails, and 5 ceriths. See how that goes and you can add as your algae grows if needed.

Sarah is right on with the clean up "packages" you can buy that are recommended. If I bought what they recommend I would have 200-400 snails of varying types and 100-200 crabs of varying types. Plus, starfish, shrimp, slugs, blennies, and cucumbers. Way overkill IMHO.
It really depends on what type of bioload you have on your tank, how often you do water changes, type of fish you want, and how you feed.
Lots of fish eat shrimp so be carefull.

In a 75 I would add just a little more than what Sarah tells you to start with. If you are buying local her numbers are a great place to start. If you are placing an order and paying shipping I would up everything just a bit. This is only my opinion though.

The reef hermit crabs, nass snails, turbo snails, brittle or serpent star fish, peppermint shrimp are all good hardy inverts.

Just be aware that hermit crabs often go after snails and kill them for their shells (even if there are extra empty shells lying around), meaning you'll have to replenish your snail population at some point. You can get packages that don't include the hermits if you want. And be careful with starfish, many are not reef safe and need a more established tank to do well. The starfish is something you might want to add later. If you get a brittlestar, make sure to stay away from the green ones!

Back