Harvesting From the Gulf this weekend?

Ninja Spear

Bloodsail Admiral
I AM planning on going out in the Gulf of Mexico this Weekend to Do some Spearfishing. The Water is Cold as Hell. It was 58 Degree's at Our Dive spot 3 weeks ago.

Anyway I was Planning on Taking a Small Brain Coral for my Tank, The Water IS cold out were we Dive this Time of Year. BUT it gets to about 80 Degrees in the Summer Time. ANy Ideas on How I can Acclimate the Coral to my Tank>?

First, just know that taking the coral violates fish and game laws unless you have a permit so be careful about how you do it and who you tell :) (I assume that you don't have a permit :) ) as for acclimating it, the first question I have is how will you be transporting it back? Do you have live wells in your boat or will it be in a bucket? I'd say keep it in seawater till you are back to your house, then drip it on a slow drip for several hours or perhaps over night. You can throw a powerhead or airstone in there to keep some oxygen in the water. Then make sure you give it an Iodine dip so you don't introduce unwanted parasites into your tank.

I will Be 30 Miles out in the Gulf. Thats Federal Waters. I think it is legal to take Corals as long as I am not In state Waters. I will Look into this. I dont want to end up in the Pokey:fechten2:

And Yes I will have a Bucket, the Live well will be full of bait fish for Hook N Lining.

How Does a Iodine Drip work?

The Iodine dip is intended to kill parasites, and is always a good practice to use before introducing a new coral to your tank. You can get it at most LFS, I think most people use Lugols. It's an iodine solution that you mix with your saltwater as you are just about done drip acclimating the coral. You just add a few drops to the water and stir it up. Let it sit for 15+ mins then move the coral into the tank.

From Wiki
"Lugol's solution is also used in the marine aquarium industry. Lugol's solution provides a strong source of free iodine and iodide to reef inhabitants and macroalgae. Although the solution is effective when used with stony corals, systems containing xenia and soft corals are particularly benefited by the use of Lugol's solution. Used as a dip for stony and soft or leather corals, Lugol's will help rid the animals of unwanted parasites and harmful bacteria. The solution helps foster improved coloration and prevents bleaching of corals due to changes in light intensity, and enhances coral polyp expansion. The blue colors of Acropora spp. are intensified by the use of potassium iodide. Special supplements of the product intended for aquarium use can be purchased at specialty stores and online."

Ok, I may be a Newb. So the Drip acclimation Process is were I Slowely add Salt water from my tank into the Container with the New Coral? Then at the end of Lefts say 8 Hours I add some of the Iodine Soultion into the container with my new coral and let that sit for 15 min then toss the coral into the tank?

I have never Done any Drip method before. Accept for adding a little water into the Bags with my new Fish and snails.

Cheers

exactly! Just take a piece of 1/4" tube and tie a loose knot at one end. Start a syphon from the sump or DT and place the knotted end into the bucket with the coral. Then tighten the knot until you get the drip at the right speed and let it go. You may not even need to drip that long but you don't want to rush temp. changes. I think Yote or Capt may have more insight as to how long you should acclimate.

Is it just me that has a problem with this? I do not condone taking any creature from the ocean, unless you are using it for food to feed yourself and family. While you ask all the right questions regarding drip acclimation, why take a wild creature? Why noy go get one from your LFS, or order on-line, looking spefically for something aquacultured. Our oceans and fisheries are already being harvested into extinction in some cases. I really don't want to sound judgemental, but why, other than you're not spending money at the LFS? Just my :twocents:

Use this link pg9 bottom of page. For more info call the St Pete office with the number on pg 10. http://gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWeb/downloads/recbrochure2009-10.pdf

I was out yesterday and it was 57 on the bottom. Vis was 10-12' at best in 80'. Was about 20 miles out from Johns Pass. Now with the wind blowing again for the next few days it will stay stirred up. Saturday will be you window to get out if the forcast stays the same. I trust that you know what you're doing but be safe and smart regardless.

Is it just me that has a problem with this? I do not condone taking any creature from the ocean, unless you are using it for food to feed yourself and family. While you ask all the right questions regarding drip acclimation, why take a wild creature? Why noy go get one from your LFS, or order on-line, looking spefically for something aquacultured. Our oceans and fisheries are already being harvested into extinction in some cases. I really don't want to sound judgemental, but why, other than you're not spending money at the LFS? Just my :twocents:
You make a good point, though I tend to look towards the unethical LFS and wholesalers over a weekend warrior with a 60g tank as the real source of the problem. It does all add up though... Something to consider.

I'm not attempting to de-grade nor judge. I guess my point is that if there are places both on-line, and LFS that sell aqua-cultured, why not go that route. I would rather not anything we put in our tanks die, but they do for different reasons. But if you've never dip acclimated, or iodine diped, why attempt it on a creature you pulled out of it's own natural enviroment. Like I said, I don't want to sound upity or the sort, I'd just like to see the wild animals remain wild.

If you do go out and get a nice piece I honestly do with you the best of luck with it.

I can't hold much ground seeing as how I brought a small serpent starfish home with me from the gulf while on vacation. But I have to say that the reefs are struggling as is. If I could visit a reef off shore I'd be happy just admiring the reef in it's natural environment. So why take something that has a better shot at helping the reef grow and survive? I too don't mean to seem like a crotchity old man and I wish you a safe trip off shore. :Cheers:

I am not looking to kill any Species Off. Were I dive there is a Sheet ton of Coral and Sea Life. It is Legal to Harvest some Species of Sea Critters and Fish. Tho Hard Corals are prohibited (just read that on myfwc.com)

As far as Supporting my LFS, on-line Stores, Well Those Guys get a lot of money from me and I feel like it's a Rip when I swim with Critters every other weekend. And if I kill something by putting it in my tank then, what’s the Difference if it comes from the ocean or the LFS? Dead is dead.

The True Joy of Harvesting my own reef Critters is seeing them in my tank and Knowing that I found it. Bragging Rights. I have a Sea Anem that I have had for 4.5 years.

Since I cannot take hard corals I might try to grab some soft ones or a sponge, there is some Wicked cool ones in the Gulf.

As far as Supporting my LFS, on-line Stores, Well Those Guys get a lot of money from me and I feel like it's a Rip when I swim with Critters every other weekend. And if I kill something by putting it in my tank then, what’s the Difference if it comes from the ocean or the LFS? Dead is dead.

The True Joy of Harvesting my own reef Critters is seeing them in my tank and Knowing that I found it. Bragging Rights. I have a Sea Anem that I have had for 4.5 years.

Since I cannot take hard corals I might try to grab some soft ones or a sponge, there is some Wicked cool ones in the Gulf.
Ninja, I am not meaning to sound critical in any way, and I apologize if I came off that way. I can totally understand the satisfaction of harvesting something yourself. My point I guess is/was that buying aqua cultured fish, corals and inverts is healthier for both the marine enviroment, and the hobby. These animals are bred in captivity to be kept in captivity. My LFS get alot of cash from me as well, but I also try to buy things that either have been captive bred, or in captivity for a good part of it's life.

And while dead is dead, a native wild creature has the chance to live and breed in it's own natural environment. I totally believe in the statement "if it's for free it's for me", but for me I can only carry that so far. I, myself would not harvest from the ocean. I am not be-littling you because that is what you choose to do. I did say good luck with what you bring home. I truely do hope everything works out for you, to and from port.:Cheers:

where do you think the lfs and online retailers get corals from?

Dolphin, maybe you missed the word AQUACULTURED in that thread. I am aware that most retail fish stores, and on-line retailers get wild caught species. I've stated twice and will again, that I look for aquacultured creatures.

Again not meaning to piss in anyones cheerios, it was a simple question is all. I honestly didn't want or intend to start an argument about the subject.

no dont get me wrong, i'm not upset at all, its just that when people talk about saving our reefs to me that just means we shouldn't have this hobby cause aquacultured or not all of it comes from the wild and lfs' and retailers continue getting from the wild, but trust me i'm not upset i was stating my opinion

I can totally appreciate that. My greatest hope for this hobby is that the aqua cultured species take off so much so that harvesting ocean animals ceases. I know it's far fetched, and I also know that to get a species it needs to originally come from the ocean. That being said, I tend to look for fragged corals from another hobbists tank, or animals no longer wanted for whatever reason from a hobbist. We have an awesome fish store in the Bay Area that just opened up. Everything they sell is aquacultured, coral and fish alike. And darn near evereything is 10.00 per frag or fish.

see thats the amazing thing elsewhere in this country---10.00 frags--here you wont find a 10.00 frag--if you do it's so small if you blink you miss it, but i guess its because we are farther from the actual collecting sites, but i still know the lfs' charges way extra( i guess to accomodate what they are being charged) but i love em anyway

I don't have a problem with harvesting a FRAG from the wild.As long as its done legally and ethically.
In the wild,the mother colony will grow over the fragged spot pretty quick.

BUT.Keep in mind that you may also get some predators that can cause problems later on with new additions,or even diseases that tank raised corals wont be able to survive.
Just something to think about.

Back