Has anyone seen the movie, Coraline?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Picasso, May 1, 2010.

1. Picasso

Picasso Seahorse Whisperer

First, it's not about the cool red stuff! Second, what's up with this flick? I TOTALLY didn't understand. Is it that I didn't drop acid before I watched it? It's just insane. Beautiful but insane. If you have any insights, could you enlighten me? while you're at it, please explain the movie '9' by Tim Burton. Thanks,

Catherine

Picasso, May 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Picasso

Bifferwine I am a girl

Never seen either of them. But '9' is apparently one of my best friend Dan's favorite movies. He keeps trying to get me to watch it.

Bifferwine, May 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Picasso

coolhandgoose

I have Coraline on DVD in the house but haven't found time to watch it yet. Basically any Tim Burton movie is really strange. Edward Scissorhands is still my favorite of his.

If you want a really weird movie try watching The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. It's Heath Ledgers last movie and it is extremely weird.

coolhandgoose, May 1, 2010
  4. Picasso

See, that's the point, I'm usually really into those weird movies. LOVE Tim Burton, and LOVE Dr. P. I understood '9' all the way until the last 60 seconds of the movie. I usually get those weird and wonky movies but those two....geez, maybe I'm just getting too old.....

C

Picasso, May 1, 2010
  5. Picasso

cthegame

movies that get too abstract piss me off. and movies that leave you guessing at the end with no right or wrong answer also piss me off. Like that shutter lsland movie. It kept you in suspense the entire time and then the end left you guessing...boooo

i tried to watch coraline 2 or 3 times but can never get into it. cant get past 15 mins. My gf read the book and saw the movie and she loves it but i just cant enjoy it at all.

cthegame, May 1, 2010
  6. Picasso

little_fish Moderator

Coraline wasnt done by Burton btw

but ya, it was really odd. I usually love odd movies, but i couldn't get into that one either

little_fish, May 1, 2010
  7. Picasso

Cathic Fish Wrangler

Ok I will attempt, 9, was about humanities dependence on technology, the scientist who created the dolls imparts his soul, (and potentially others) into dolls, in order to remove himself from the physical world so that he and (possible others, Ill explain this in a second) can save humanity from losing their souls to technology and war (illustrated by the war and soldiers dying to gas and machines), and in turn save the planet from our evil ways[destroying the machine at the end] (this theme is debated but is clearly there for most).

I would give examples of each or give a more in depth description but I am lazy. Ask and I will respond though ;)

Cathic, May 1, 2010
  8. Picasso

Right, I got that, but then the last bit

********SPOILER****SPOILER*****SPOILER*****

The last bit, when the green raindrops started falling, what was that? And, the dolls, they had no idea? You would think that they would be different aspects of humanity but I couldn't really peg any one of them. They were bits of the scientists personality, he was trying to save the world that he inadvertently cursed...but if that's the case, why didn't they know their purpose in this game? How did they make the green rain? agggghhhh...

I know Tim Burton didn't do Coraline but they have a similar feel and Coraline is just way too odd to even try to make sense.

C

Picasso, May 1, 2010
  9. Picasso

Cathic Fish Wrangler

Have you ever watched any Animation from Japan? The green raindrops signify humanity reclaiming their souls from the technology that enslaved them, and in turn "going green" and saving the planet, notice the machines produced tons of smoke, raped the lands for construction material, but when defeated by those who were aware of its destructive ability, the earth could heal with the kind souls of humanity that saved it, as the water. (metaphorically of course)

Cathic, May 1, 2010
  10. Picasso

Cathic Fish Wrangler

This theme is seen over and over, Princess Mononoke, is a film by Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli, and is one such film that has the same basic idea. I would suggest giving it a watch if you are not totally turned off by Japanese animation. The idea of the green healing, and humanities destructive power, are both weighed equally here and the overall tone is not accusatory at all, rather learning to live with both in balance.

Cathic, May 1, 2010
  11. Picasso

Sharkie The Damsel Defender

i haven't seen it.

I LOOOVE TB movies, his johnny and his pair ups are great, altho I have to admit I'm not a nightmare or the new alice fan... I LOVE Edward Scissorhands tho <3 and Corpse Bride :)

wanna watch a movie I can't figure out? try watching the uninvited. TRIPPY. thought I had it figured out but the end of the movie took me for a whirl, I still don't understand it.

Sharkie, May 1, 2010
  12. Picasso

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

motorcyclereefer, May 1, 2010
  13. Picasso

MCR, '9' is awesome and a worthy way to spend a couple hours. 'Coraline' would be best with....ah.....well, mental enhancement but I don't do that kind of stuff anymore. I kept thinking, geez, if I just had some... 'tea'... this would be an amazing experience. I haven't seen 'Alice In Wonderland' yet, but I get the same feeling when I watch the ads.

Cathic, do you have '9'? I would like to watch it at the same time as you so I can hear your explanations for stuff. Anyone up for a movie tonight (or sometime)? We can hang out in the chat room and watch together?

C

Picasso, May 2, 2010
  14. Picasso

wontonflip I failed Kobayashi Maru

Lil fish is right...this not a Tim burton flick. When I first looked it up when I first saw it, i was surprised his name was not attached to it at all.

I have it for the kids...but it's NOT for the kids LOL...they got scared. I have it in 3d...but i watch it w/o 3d...makes me nauseous.

wontonflip, May 2, 2010
  15. Picasso

Ulta REEFER

Apparently the guy who Directed Coraline is the same person who directed Nightmare before Christmas. (Both commonly mistaken for Tim Burton?)

Ulta, May 2, 2010
  16. Picasso

Cathic Fish Wrangler

I have 9 and Coraline, w can make group skype call or chat, and explain/watch the movies.

Cathic, May 2, 2010
  17. Picasso

tankedchemist

I have Coraline, but not 9. I did see it in the theater though.

tankedchemist, May 2, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question