Has anyone taken the 3D TV plunge yet??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by OhNoNemo, Jun 24, 2010.

1. OhNoNemo

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

One other thing that I didn't think about...your current bracket came with a bag full of different sized screws...You're going to need to find those...The screws that are in your current tv holding the bracket on probably won't fit into your sammy.

PRC, Jun 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. OhNoNemo

OhNoNemo i love triggers

I bet your right,i do remember 2 sizes of scews and i used the smaller of the 2
    I didn't think amazon would,its already a great deal on the tv itself:D

OhNoNemo, Jun 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. OhNoNemo

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

What ch'all talkin about,3D TV.I'm still watchin a good ole 19" that has the picture tube in it.:mrgreen:

Not really.:D But that IS the tv the X-box is hooked up to.
    But I wont be buy a 3D tv anytime soon.

yote, Jun 24, 2010
  4. OhNoNemo

Nemo10 www.facebook.com/mupulo

i worked in the electronics industry for 12 years did the whole CEDIA and CES thing... 3D is a new technology that in my opinion is stupid. You HAVE TO WEAR THE GLASSES or else the tv looks like crap. And if you loose or break the glasses they are about $200 a piece to much for my blood. I run a 65" Plasma LOVE IT best TV i ever bought. As far as LED is concerned picture quality wise not much different than a plasma....

Nemo10, Jun 24, 2010
  5. OhNoNemo

reeffreak

I'm going to stick with my Panny plasma for a few more years.Until they get rid of the glasses,3DTV is just a fad to me and the added cost doesn't help either.They are making games for home consoles that support that technology but like I said earlier,the glasses suck.

reeffreak, Jun 24, 2010
  6. OhNoNemo

Toolman RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH

Have you heard anything on the Vizio razor with the LED background 37" on Dell.com for $700.00:bowdown:

Toolman, Jun 25, 2010
  7. OhNoNemo

Nemo10 www.facebook.com/mupulo

Crap tv to be honest unless it says full LED its junk no different then an LCD they just use a LED back light its not a true LED..

Nemo10, Jun 25, 2010
  8. OhNoNemo

OhNoNemo i love triggers

Agreed,
    I kept looking at the panny P5 series but something kept calling me back to the sammy,can't go wrong with either one though:Cheers:

OhNoNemo, Jun 25, 2010
  9. OhNoNemo

OhNoNemo i love triggers

I thought those were outlawed:shock::mrgreen:

OhNoNemo, Jun 25, 2010
  10. OhNoNemo

Bifferwine I am a girl

Bifferwine, Jun 25, 2010
  11. OhNoNemo

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

Being in the industry and being responsible for someone's TV I just prefer my customers stay away from anything that Vizio makes. It might surprise you that I also say that about Sony...(I have a basement full of crap Sony products, that we've pulled out of customers homes)The only opinions that I draw from different television manufacturers is how many times my technicians have to pull a certain manufacturers TV off the wall and replace it. We keep track of it. Until that stops happening, I just recommend something that we've never pulled off a wall.

That being said, if you would've asked me if I thought Samsung TV's were a good product 15 years ago, I would've just started laughing. Now, it's a totally different story. IMO they're one of the top 3 manufacturers.

Pioneer made the best flat panel televisions. Unfortunately, they recently got out of the flat panel business, and they were a bit pricey.

PRC, Jun 25, 2010
  12. OhNoNemo

reeffreak

PRC,

So what are the top 3 HDTV companies you like the best?Another question,what about Sharp.When I go into Best Buy,those Aquos sure look brighter then most of the cheaper brands.Oh and one more question...Plasma or LED,what your take on them.I'm still leaning toward plasmas.Pictures still don't look perfect unless you are sitting directly behind one an LED.

reeffreak, Jun 25, 2010
  13. OhNoNemo

ggNoRe

I went Biff's route and got a $450 40" 1080P Apex LCD during a black Friday special, couldn't be happier. Also got a Panasonic 50" plasma about 4 years ago after reading literally 100's of online reviews (mostly on amazon) and it's still running strong. If had the money to spend and the need for another TV I would go for a Samsung LED now though, love the picture.

ggNoRe, Jun 25, 2010
  14. OhNoNemo

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

I like the Sharp Aquos TV's, but we don't do alot of them because most people don't pay the extra money for them... As far as LCD, LED, or Plasma I think they're all really cool technologies. I personally own plasma. On a good plasma the black color is better. That being said, when you put the TV's head to head, they each have their pros and cons.. and plamsa usually wins by a narrow margin that is becoming even more narrow with time.

Also, the things that chap my as about a TV will make zero difference to a customer. For example, on the new Sammy LED's. The power cord doesn't separate from the TV. In certain installations that can be a PITA.

The only other thing that drives me crazy about the new TV's is the race to how thin it can be...Here's why..if a customer buys the new Sammy LED it's 1.25 inches front to back. That's great. But in all reality, it's more than likely going to mounted on a bracket that will tilt 15 degrees and will stick out from the wall about 2-4 inches depending on the bracket...Who F'ing cares how thin it is? When it's up on the wall, the thinness really doesn't matter in most applications.

Make it so it won't break, and so it's affordable for the masses.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    PRC, Jun 25, 2010
    reeffreak likes this.
  15. OhNoNemo

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

And that's why I rep Panny's.

My Top 3 Television preferences are:

Panasonic
    Samsung
    LG

I also rep Toshiba. Notice they're not on the list. We've started having trouble with them recently. About the pull the plug on them.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
    PRC, Jun 25, 2010
  16. OhNoNemo

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

Here's a little secret about TV sales....the tv's that they want to sell more of have the brightness jacked all the way up on them. (That's the reason why you don't see remotes next to the TV's anymore.) Then the store will turn the brightness down on the ones that they don't want to sell. Check it out the next time you're in a store...When you walk in immediately look at the TV's..1 or 2 in each row of different sizes will be calling your name from across the store.

They've been doing that crap for 20 years. Little tricksters.

And when I say the ones they don't want to selI, I mean the ones with less margin in them.

PRC, Jun 25, 2010
    ggNoRe likes this.
  17. OhNoNemo

ggNoRe

Lol thanks for the heads up.. good to know.

ggNoRe, Jun 25, 2010
  18. OhNoNemo

PRC Stop Quoting Me!

One last thing about TV's for the night , and then I'm going to bed. I highly recommend calibrating all flat screen TV's. These TV's are not like the TV's that we grew up with. They're a totally different animal.

That being said, you can pay somebody to do it. It will generally cost you $100-$200 to have it done. Or you can buy a disc and do it yourself for about $40. The disc has all of the instructions that you need. You just watch the tutorial and then calibrate it. Pretty easy.

If you do a calibration on your TV, you're not only calibrating it for the ambient light in your room (essentially customizing it for your home) you very well may increase the life of the TV.

There are much more sophisticated tools that we use, but for homeowner use the AVIA disc will be just fine.

Here's a link if interested.

AVIA 2 AVIA2 AVIA II DVD - Ovation Guide to Home Theater Tune-up Calibration DVD

PRC, Jun 25, 2010
  19. OhNoNemo

OhNoNemo i love triggers

PRC, you rock man....Great advice and info:Cheers:

OhNoNemo, Jun 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question