Has anyone used this

WWS

Reefing newb
I was looking at powerheads and some other options for water movement in my tank and come accross the Hydor Koralia. Does anyone use these?

I have 4 of them and many here have them also.
The best bang for the buck as far as circulation pumps goes.They have a nice gentle wide flow yet still is powerful.

I'm ordering mine this week... I have heard some negative things about them, but I have heard much more positve things about them... From what I understand, do not buy the #1's as they seem to be underpowered... Biff has them on her 240 and I know there are many more who use them...

There is a new nano model (240 GPH) due out this month I was thinking of picking up some for my 29 gallon tank. How many would be recommended?

I use four of the #3s on my tank. I really like them, they are SO easy to clean compared to other powerheads!

I would just get one to start. See if that's enough flow. If it's not enough, you can always order another one.

Two of the Nano model would work.I think two of the K1 or one K2 will work fine also.I do have a preference with two rather than one,so you can get more of a random flow.

Are the flows powerful like the water exiting a powerhead? The size 1 is rated for 400 GPH and just curious how this would compare to a powerhead rated the same.

The flow is powerful but its not the same.

A 400gph powerhead has a narrow stream.Anything close will get blasted.Since the flow on the 400gph Koralia is wider,the flow is more disperse so corals and such can be keep closer to it.When my fish runs in front of the old powerheads,they get push back like that got caught by a tornado.Now they get pushed but are still able to swim.Too me,sticking my hand in front a Koralia is like having your hand in front of a fan(did that make sense?)

Yes, So I should be ok to get two of these with no problem, where as two powerheads really disturb the live rock base throwing stuff all over.

they will give your Rock a good dusting.
I have 1 K3 in my 55 and the xenia on the other side of the tank gets enough flow to Sway rather nicely

Yes two of the nano model or two of the model one will work.Of course,you can always try one out first and if its not enough flow,pick up another.

One thing that I noticed with power heads is that when I had a lot of water movement in the tank (not direct blasts) the mushrooms did not like it and closed up same for the hammer coral. Hopefully these things dont do the same.

Yes,the Koralia will give you more placement possibilities.I'm not saying you can put a hammer coral directly in front of a Koralia,just closer than a powerhead.They are definitely worth the expense,once you try one or two of them,you'll wonder what took so long.Don't forget the magnet mounts,no more suction cups failing.You ever remove a powerhead and lose a suction cup behind the rocks.Sure makes removing them to clean a breeze.

I just got a Hydor 1 this week to replace a powerhead and I am very happy with it. Would have bought 2 of them but the LFS can't keep them in stock so only had one on the shelf. Good Flow for $40. I think I will pick up the #2 for the other end of my tank when I go back next week. I like the ease of them, and visually they are less obtrusive than my powerheads. And as mentioned when I took out the powerhead I was replacing I lost the damned suction cup behind the rocks.... I can see it but cannot get my hand in there to reach it, so there it will stay.:grumble:

Yep, the magnetic mounts are on of the best features of these powerhead. And did I mention, they are so easy to clean?!?! :D You don't even need a bottlebrush, or anything.

i have two #1's in my 55. they have a really good flow to them. even though they have a much wider flow than a normal powerhead. it seems to be more of a multi-laminar flow rather than evenly distrubeted wide flow. this can be noticed if you hold the powerhead in you're hand, aim it at something, and slowly rotate it. you will have one area with a really strong flow, and 180 degrees from that spot you will have another area with really strong flow. but, i still like them a lot. it just takes a little tweaking to get them right where i want them, to keep the sand from blowing up in one area, and not having much movement in another.

I'm running 1 K4 in my 75.Along with 3 maxi-jet 1200s and 2 rio 800s.
I like the Koralia better than any pump i've used.
Like every body has already said though,you get a wide flow pattern and have to really play with them to keep your sand on the bottom.

I'm may end up ordering 1 more #4 and a couple of #2s.As soon as I get some funds turned loose.

Just ordered mine. Safe bet as far as you can see. I've just ordered something I've never used before and feel totally confident. Point u in the right direction????

Back