Have any of you seasoned vets heard of Sponge Stick?

Aqua Boy

Reefing newb
I picked up a rather unique looking piece today at one of the local wholesalers...but have NEVER seen this thing before. I will try to take pictures of it when I get a chance but I was told it was called a "sponge stick" but am not confident in that name? The rep also told me he can't get them in often so they must be somewhat rare?? I can barely describe it other than it is a spiraling thin stick with obvious green growth on it, like out of a Dr. Suess book. It almost looks like those special christmas trees made out of lights that spiral from a small circle to larger ones at the base.

Anyone have an idea????

Good question. I am being very careful with it as it looks delicate...but I think the actual outer parts are soft. It is quite thin...almost like a spiraled paper clip.

I cant really even tell if this thing is actually some sort of sponge matter that is growing on a paper clip. I am trying to not mess with it too much right now. I will try to get a pic here.

I cant find my camera cable and I left my SD card reader at my office...darn it.

Anyway, it might be a Garg but I hestitate on that as it is not very typical of one. I am gonna try to take a better look at the actual structure for better info. It is quite attractive too.

it could alo be a gargoian(sea fan) if it looks like a stick

There are definitely small polyps on it that are opening and letting arms come out. Its too small to get a good count on how many arms are protruding. Right now really the top 1/2" or so of the entire branch has the polyps sprouting. There are polyps however going all the way down to the base. It appears at the base where it is placed in the rock that there are small black hairs or something that make the base look black. The hairs continue up the branch about 3/4" but fade out the higher they go. ???

Last edited:
This is the only type of sponge that I know of that sounds similar to what you are describing. The Australian White Lightning Sponge. Australian<br> White Lightning Sponge

Thanks for the try...but it is not close. You will laugh when you see what I have compared to that. Mine is green and spirals. I have put up another post here with something I found that is similar but the mods need to approve it first I guess.

Here is a link to what I found near the bottom of the page. (Spiral Coral)

Google Image Result for http://www.starfish.ch/Fotos/cnidarians-Nesseltiere/corals-Korallen-Anthozoa/black-corals-Schwarze-Korallen/Cirrhipathes-spiralis1.jpg

I think I may have found it...or something very similar...I posted alink and pics but we are waiting for the mods to approve.

In the interim....google image search: Cirrhipathes spiralis

I guess it is a type of Black Coral...also known as Corkscrew Coral. I am not quite sure what foods will best feed it but will definitely look further into it. I found a thread on another forum where the owner posted its growth rate...which was quite fast. I will need to look into fragging if that is the case. Some of the pics of it I found were about 50' long+ in the wild...LOL:bounce: Perfect for an 11 gallon Nano...:frustrat:

Finally got a pic of it ready....

TruckandAquarium073.jpg

Thats a cool looking coral.
But I'm betting thats gonna be a hard coral to keep.From what I've found on em,they need a lot of food,so will have to be fed on a daily basis.

Back