Have you Ever Taken a Fish to the Vet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Jenna09, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Jenna09

Jenna09

While I was at my vets a couple of months ago with my cat Pumpkin, who unfortunately had to be pts this past week RIP, I was reading one of her 1000 vet books she has and there was one book that was probably over 5000 pages dedicated to fish surgery!

I never even knew that something like this was possible! They would knock them out and hook up tubes into the fish's gills to pump water through them and they would do all kinds of different surgerys, fin repairs, lump removals, bowel obstructions, cyst removals, eye surgery, etc, etc.

There were goldfish, koi, oscars, and many large marine fish as well, including tangs, puffers, angels, triggers, sharks, eels etc.

I dont think that I could afford to because I am sure that it would be a very costly procedure. But I now know that my vet will perform surgeries on my fish if I need her to.

Has anyone brought any of their fish to the vet?
    Do you have a fish that holds a special place in your heart that you would bring to the vet to have something done to save its life?

Jenna

Jenna09, Mar 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Jenna09

motorcyclereefer I am Graffiti Petey

I have never even thought about taking a fish to the vet. I just couldnt justify taking a goldfish for a lump removal. But seriously, I would have a hard time justifying spending that kind of money on a fish. And besides it seems like most of the fish problems are discovered too late.

motorcyclereefer, Mar 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Jenna09

mng777777 Shark Wrangler Wannabe

I agree that in most cases for the hobbyist, it wouldn't be practical but they certainly can fix fish just like the rest of our pets.

mng777777, Mar 3, 2010
  4. Jenna09

andysgirl8800 Blenny Badlands

That seems like a very lucrative market, IMO. MAYBE if you have a $10k shark, I could justify the expense....MAYBE. But a $40 tang.....Not to devalue tangs at all, but if a tang gets stresses simply when you put a net in the water, can you IMAGINE the stress of surgery??? :)

andysgirl8800, Mar 3, 2010
  5. Jenna09

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

One of the customers at my LFS is a vet.He's came in several times and treated a couple of the fish.

yote, Mar 3, 2010
  6. Jenna09

Oh yes Yote, I forgot about him. But for the typical hobbyist it just isn't practical.

7. Jenna09

yote Ceritfied Mantis Hunter Moderator

True.
    Jon probably wouldnt have had a vet either,if the vet wasnt trading his service for stuff at the store.

yote, Mar 3, 2010
  8. Jenna09

Jenna09

I was thinking the same thing...a fish costs between $20-$150 around my area and could I really justify bringing it in for surgery or treatment. But then again I brought my $3 rat in for surgery which cost over $200!! I also had him pts which cost another $75.

Also, I was thinking about all of the times I go into my vet and ppl have $15 budgies or $30 rabbits and even $10 hamsters there for surgeries and treatments. All which cost less than most marine fish.

So is it because they are fish and in water and we dont feel the same connection to these pets as our air breathing/furry/feathery pets?

I know that surgery probably would stress a fish out beyond belief and I dont know the actual cost of having a surgery or treatment done, but for some reason I have been thinking about this topic lately.

I would honestly never take one of my fish to the vet.

Jenna

Jenna09, Mar 3, 2010
  9. Jenna09

dcantucson

Are you crazy! :mrgreen: Ha. With the cost of the fish nowadays who could afford to take a fish to the vet? We're all to broke with the day to day operations of this hobby.

dcantucson, Mar 3, 2010
  10. Jenna09

Bifferwine I am a girl

I wouldn't take a fish to the vet. For the simple reason that the probability that the treatment will be successful is very low compared to other animals. My old vet was a certified "AquaVet" -- it's an extra certification you can get for working on fish. So I know I would have a good place to bring them.

As some of you may or may not know, I've got a soft spot for animals :shock:. I spent $900 on a sick guinea pig once. I had a dozen male guinea pigs neutered at $150 to $200 a pop. But I was emotionally attached to those animals, and their medical treatment was more likely than not going to be successful. I just can't say that about fish.

Bifferwine, Mar 3, 2010
  11. Jenna09

Jenna09

Bifferwine: I also have a soft spot for animals and have spent ridiculous amounts of money on veterinary care not only for my animals but for strays and injured wild animals I have found.

I also do not have the emotional connection with fish. If I was to see an injured animal on the side of the road I would pick it up and bring it to the vet. Now if I was fishing and caught a fish that had an injury I would say poor thing and throw it back in the lake or kill it lol!

Same with my fish. I guess I was feeling maybe like a bad pet fish owner because I had never even considered taking my poor blenny to the vet who died last year of some horrific growth and upon seeing this book at the vet I wondered if maybe other ppl were more willing to take their fish to the vets.

I guess I am not alone and now I dont feel so bad about it lol!

Jenna

Jenna09, Mar 3, 2010
  12. Jenna09

Sharkie The Damsel Defender

we actually have a few "fish surgeons" at the aquarium who preform all sorts of operations on our fish, its really really cool to watch! I should find the vid I have of the sharks and post it :)

Sharkie, Mar 3, 2010
  13. Jenna09

Jenna09

I hope you can find the videos.

I would love to see it.

Jenna

Jenna09, Mar 3, 2010
  14. Jenna09

Tristan Detritus

i wouldnt trust a vet with a fish. its just not worth the risk!

Tristan, Mar 3, 2010
  15. Jenna09

reeffreak

My Purple tang is getting up there in her years,Maybe I'll take her in for a colonoscopy....or maybe a breast cancer exam?!?

Heck,I never even heard of this until you posted this.

reeffreak, Mar 3, 2010
  16. Jenna09

Jenna09

I should seriously see if I can borrow the book. Some of the pictures are hilarious looking. And there are some really neat before and after pictures of fish that have made full recoveries.

There may have been a colonscopy procedure in there :bounce:

Jenna

Jenna09, Mar 3, 2010
  17. Jenna09

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question