Having a semi major issue

1 fish per 10 gallons would get you 5.5 fish.

Once again it all depends. The tangs are a no but for the rest of the fish. Skimmers, types of coral, and actual maturity of the tank.

Switching fish all the time is asking for disease in you tank and loss of money. Same with overstocking.

I have a new filter and a good skimmer. I'm also ocd with water changes. Hopefully it works out. It's a work tank so I'm not solely in control. My home tank doesn't have any tangs (it's small at 35).

W/c's don't add volume.

just because you try and keep the water clean, that has nothing to do with the overstock issues that implies vast mounts of stress. Research the tangs. Look at their requirements. The fish you chose require 3 times the size of your tank.

If you look at the title, that explains it all.

To whom come across this post, 3 tangs cannot go into a 55g tank. You should not stuff 10 fish in a 55g. Please research EACH fish entering your tank.

With the tangs it's 7 fish...not 10. I understand what's you're saying where they may get stressed...that's not my intent. Just want a nice tank with healthy fish.

Last edited:
I probably should have done more research. What I had read (Google) was that 55 is the smallest recommended for tangs and you have to keep an odd number...of different tang types. Upon checking more into it now I should have stayed with the yellow and called it a day.

For sake of argument, the yellow tang says minimal of 100g. The clown tang says 250g MINIMUM. I'm sure the 3rd tang is in that category.

You even had a foxface. I've seen them in smaller tanks like yours, but they may have 3 other small fish as a clown or goby size.

Hey, it's not my tank. I would simply return all those fish because disease spreads like wildfire and you have the match.
What pisses me off the most is when I go and purchase a fish it probably came form a tank like yours. I want a healthy fish, and I'll stick it in qt for 3 months before it gets placed in my dt.
Look at your time line of this post. You killed all of your fish and now overstocked in less than a month. I promise, you keep going down this path history will repeat. Good luck.

7 fish in 6 weeks (added the clowns together). I thought rule of thumb was a fish a week. I check the water weekly with no issues. Like I said...I also keep on top of the cleaning. So are you saying adding once a week is a stress thing or a bio load thing? Let me say my home tank is fine and all of my fish are 6-10 months in there (it's full so I haven't added in a while other then a coral). No fatalities at home since the 3rd month (damsel). I don't have the same say with my work tank so I'm trying to keep on top of it. My work tank has two clowns, two scooters, 3 tangs (the chromis was removed). The scooters and clowns are about an inch each. I come to this board for guidance since you guys have been helpful for far...

And we appreciate you listening to our advice.

@mariobrothersleeve is right, though. The yellow tang can stay and potentially be happy. The other two should go back to the store, though.
IF you were to add another fish, I would assume you want something active to replace the movement you're going to be missing with the tangs. Maybe a dwarf angel? They're colorful and active.

That's why I'm here...for advice. I tried a bi color angel but the yellow was being a bully. I switched him up for the other two tangs (plus extra $$). The yellow is slightly smaller then the other two so he only bullied for a few hours. Both new tangs have been eating the past 2 days so far...which I'm assuming is good. I hate switching out fish and I try to avoid it for obvious reasons...but if the tang is stressed then it's a no brainer.

I have about 6 different lfs where I go...I think the problem is 4 of them sell anything while the other 2 give me advice as to what goes with what. I think I need to stick to the 2 since the other 4 give me crap advice...

That's why I'm here...for advice. I tried a bi color angel but the yellow was being a bully. I switched him up for the other two tangs (plus extra $$). The yellow is slightly smaller then the other two so he only bullied for a few hours. Both new tangs have been eating the past 2 days so far...which I'm assuming is good. I hate switching out fish and I try to avoid it for obvious reasons...but if the tang is stressed then it's a no brainer.
I had an angel too, it went straight for my trach. He sat back in the qt until I sold him several months later. Most angels aren't reef safe let alone the shear size of most of them. Everyone hear has a 'small' tank per 70% of most fish, tossing 1 larger one in is not as a big deal as 3 large fish and no swimming room.

I'm sure you seen the tangs fight because of the size of the tank, I had fish fight in qt because it's only a 20g. It happens. Finding out what you have to work with is the key.

Back