having red slime problem.

billm

Reefing newb
This problem is in my 29 hex tank.7 months old with a hot magum canister filter and a red sea prism skimmer.The slime started about 3 months ago, cut down on feeding to every other day, water changes bi weekly ( 5 gallons) and replaced bulb,( 18 watt pc).only fish, no corals, and several pieces of live rock on a 1 inch bed of agronite. Iamb at lost to figure the problem of what is causing the red slime. I also took out the chemical media of the magum, using a micron filter only.Any thoughts?

If you're not opposed to macro algae like Chaeto in the main tank, that's the best resolution I've found. I stick some in the back of the tank behind my rocks, and no red or hair algae.

Check you salinity, phosphates, nitrates, water motion, additives, hardness and light all contribute to alga. maybe the suggestion by Pterois had is the easiest. low salinity, excess vitamins, nitrates and phosphates all contribute to alga. introduce alga eaters. I have found that the snail Astea Sp. (star shell) will help with red slime/cyno bacteria. hope something here helps. check your amonia and nitrites, if registering your tank is not balanced yet and you need to work on that. hope something here helps.

The above ideas is good advice,also since you dont have any coral you try a product called chemi clean.Try using a turkey baster to remove some as well.

slime

i do what minireefer says for when i get red slime suck it off and use chemi clean. also i target my power jets by it after i suck it off with the turkey baster.

i used red slime pads very strong tough can only leave in tank two day it really works $15.00 it comes in a pack of two it well treat up to 400gal but you still have to scrub what u have in the tank it well bring your phos down to 0 i add a litter piece every other month

Back